Enable MM to launch external video player

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Finsternis

Enable MM to launch external video player

Post by Finsternis »

MM is supposed to be a media manager, not just a music manager, and I know it can catalog and play video files. But - no offense, guys - your internal video player sucks badly. Rather than spend a lot of time on it, fixing bugs and adding features,. why not just enable us to have MM launch video files with an external player? I'm thinking of VLC specifically here, but it could be anything. It would be great to tell MM to associate video formats with VLC so that when we play one, it launches that app instead of the internal player.

Thanks
Cenafox

Re: Enable MM to launch external video player

Post by Cenafox »

This would be a great feature that I am looking forward too. I manage my music with MM but want to be able to manage images and videos with MM as well. Currently MM is lacking in this department.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Tools --> Options --> Player --> Use default external video player

The option has always been there.
Finsternis

Post by Finsternis »

You're right, it is there and it does work. However that is for single files only. If you are watching a playlist of files, it will only watch the first one on the external player and stop. It would be much nicer if it either played them sequentially or passed all the filenames. At least with VLC that should be possible. That way one could watch, say, a bunch of episodes of a show without having to get up and go to the PC each time to play the next one. Or shuffle videos, or whatever.

I guess I could make a playlist in MM, manually export it, and then play it in VLC, but that's not only a PITA to keep doing but it would not be "live", you would have to re-do it every time the playlist changed. I don't think it would be hard to pass multiple filenames to VLC at once in stead of one at a time - I can do it from windows file manager easily. VLC understands.