How to create multiple locations in sync MSD

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tomt39

How to create multiple locations in sync MSD

Post by tomt39 »

Hi everyone,

I could use some help syncing to an external drive. I am trying to use it for playback on my car stereo (Kenwood DMX-905s). I like that I can keep my 24 bit library separate from the rest of my FLACs, and MP-3s, and access (and sort and whatever) however I please. However, I can't find a way to replicate this using the sync feature to a MSD. While MM is powerful and allows whatever sort I wish, I can't duplicate this with my car stereo head unit. For example, I tend to listen to my 24 bit content as full albums, but mix my other content.

In the Options tab of the device sync setup it only allows one location for each music "type." Any content synced as the same file type (in this case "Music") is stored in the same folder. This occurs even if I have created different collections. While MM would easily sort this by some method such as "bit rate" I have no such feature for my car audio player. When I access the music I can only sort by "Artist," "Album", "Genre", or "Folder". Consequently, I have no way to see the 24 bit library separately.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks.
Tomt39
Lowlander

Re: How to create multiple locations in sync MSD

Post by Lowlander »

You can sync to Playlist folders. so if you separate your content by Playlist you can have it separated on the device.
tomt39

Post by tomt39 »

Thanks for the quick reply Lowlander.

Seemed like a great idea. Unfortunately, it raised two issues. The first is that apparently the Kenwood unit won't recognize M3U playlists with its internal player. I have access to Mediamonkey through both Kenwood's Weblink app and Android Auto, both of which are on my Galaxy Note 8. Unfortunately, I don't have the storage on my phone for the 24 Bit files. The head unit supports two USBs so I was looking for a dedicated drive for the music.

Which brings up the other issue. I have emailed Kenwood to see if, 1. They support some type of playlist file located just on a drive? After all, Mediamonkey can save several playlist formats. Or, 2. If I purchase a Fiio or Onkyo DAP will the head unit recognize Mediamonkey installed on those? They both operate on an android operating system.

I'll post they're response when I hear back from them.
Tomt39
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Kenwood has a small music editor program that allows the user to organise files that are on a USB stick or SD card. It does not replace a program like MM, but supplements it. You can find it at http://www2.jvckenwood.com/cs/ce/music_ ... t/english/
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It doesn't need to support Playlist files, you'd have Playlist folders using /<Playlist>/ in your Mask for Destination: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... ormats/4.0