Problems Ripping Audio CDs

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Bespin1138

Problems Ripping Audio CDs

Post by Bespin1138 »

Version: Media Monkey Gold 4.1.20.1864
Optical Disc Drive : LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter

Hi,

I am in the process of re-ripping my music collection to FLAC using Media Monkey's Secure Rip setting. Currently I am about halfway through my stack of discs. I ran into a problem ripping 3 of my discs. I got an error ripping message on each of those discs. When I chose to cancel the rips, I got a message saying that Media Monkey cannot decode the discs.

Now, I went to my local Family Video store to have the discs resurfaced. One of the three discs managed to rip without trouble. The other two discs still can not be fully ripped. The software states it cannot rip tracks at various points on the discs. Even though the discs' surfaces did not look too bad before I resurfaced them, I suspected the scratches might have had something to do with the problem. Even though those two discs still have scratches, in my experience, there are not enough scratches to impact beginning, middle, and ending tracks.

I rarely played music off of CDs for almost 10 years. I generally rip the CDs right after purchase and listen to them in either FLAC or MP3. When I ripped these CDs to FLAC with an older version of Media Monkey 5 or 6 years ago on a laptop system, I ripped them using Media Monkey's Standard Rip setting. I am now re-ripping my CDs on a desktop on Secure Rip with the intent of getting the cleanest rips possible so I can digitally preserve my music library in lossless audio.

My only conclusions are that the discs may be bad or there may be some type of coding on the discs that my optical disc drive does not agree with.

I however felt it was best to ask for any other suggestions or input as to what the problem may be and, if possible, how to solve it.

Thanks.
Peke

Re: Problems Ripping Audio CDs

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I do not have any issues on exactly the same drive (HL-DT-ST_BD-RE WH16NS40 Firmware: 1.02) , but in such cases of badly scratched CDs I firstly check if CD plays on plain CD player without jumping and if yes then I pull out my 23 year old SCSI TEAC 2x burner that can rip/clone anything and rip it there.

Try to rip it on any other computer and/or use other methods just on tracks that fail?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bespin1138

Re: Problems Ripping Audio CDs

Post by Bespin1138 »

I have not really had time to listen to the discs that my LG BD-Writer had problems ripping. I purchased an external DVD-RW and tried ripping those discs on it using secure rip settings. It appeared to rip the discs without the ripping error messages. I have also used a program called Fakin' the Funk to detect corrupted music files and it has not detected anything corrupted. I am assuming that the files copied from those problematic discs using the external ripper should play properly if there was no problem ripping them, but just to be on the safe side, I have purchased extra copies of the discs that I could. Based on your experiences, if a disc does not rip properly on one optical disc ripper, whether it be due to coding issues or scratches, but it rips properly on another optical disc ripper, would I still encounter audio problems from the music files ripped from those discs despite using either secure or other most accurate rip setting?

Thanks.