Noob help with FLAC

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gandoe

Noob help with FLAC

Post by gandoe »

I've got MM v4.1.20.1864, on a Win7 x64 computer, accessing files off a NAS.

I've added a few CD's of classical music in FLAC format.

When I play through MM, the sound quality is awful...distortions at different volume levels.

Yet, when I play the same files through VLC (for example), the sound appears to be at the proper quality.

Is there some issue with MM FLAC support, or is there some setting that FLAC files are particularly sensitive to?

TIA
Ed
yarguy

Re: Noob help with FLAC

Post by yarguy »

What is your output setting (Tools -< Options -> Output Plugins) and what Configuration settings do you have (click Configure in the Available Output Settings box)?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Disable Play > Level Playback Volume. Does the problem remain?
gandoe

Post by gandoe »

yarguy:

In Tools>Output Plug, the default is "MediaMonkey Directsound output". That is configured to use the primary sound driver, and all options (hardware acceleration, crossfade, etc.) are selected.

Assuming that all output options take effect immediately, and I do not need to exit and restart MM, or even shutdown and restart Win7, to see if any of these changes have an effect:
- I tried the two other plugins (MM WASAPI, waveOUTPUT)
- using the original Directsound output, I tried two other drivers (one for my display, one for the PC speakers)

And still had the same distortion issue.

Lowlander:
Play > Level Playback was not enabled. I did enable, then disable, testing in both cases, and still had the distortion.

As I mentioned, I can play this same FLAC track in VLC media player, and get no distortion, so I'm definitely confused.

Any additional help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Ed
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try selecting your actual sound device instead of primary sound and make sure the drivers are up to date. Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -corrupted
Wilyums

Post by Wilyums »

Had the same distortion issue with MM (and no distortion with Windows Groove Music - or for that matter with files that MM had synced with my phone). Disabling the "Level Playback Volume" in the MM Play tab solved this issue. Not sure why.
gandoe

Post by gandoe »

Got It!!!!!

Lowlander, thanks for the additional suggestions; I did try different output plugins, and for each plugin I tried different devices, but nothing worked.

However, as I finally had some time to do a more detailed review and "fiddling around", I discovered that the problem seemed to be the default settings on the MM Equalizer. Although all the channels were baselined at 0 db, the preamp setting was at it's maximum of +20 db. After reducing that to a 0 db baseline, the track (Mozart Symphony No. 40 in G Minor, K. 550; I. Molto allegro, if anyone's interested) played perfectly fine.

Thanks to all who took the time to offer suggestions!

Ed
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Wilyums wrote: Disabling the "Level Playback Volume" in the MM Play tab solved this issue. Not sure why.
That often indicates that Track or Album Volume value is incorrect resulting in the volume being amped up too much resulting in distortion or that you set values to high under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling.
gandoe wrote:I discovered that the problem seemed to be the default settings on the MM Equalizer.
Default is 0dB.
gandoe

Post by gandoe »

gandoe wrote:I discovered that the problem seemed to be the default settings on the MM Equalizer.
Default is 0dB.[/quote]

Lowlander - thanks for the further info. I will certainly admit to the possibility of somehow, unknowingly or accidentally, changing the pre-amp setting without realizing it.

In any case....issue solved!

Thanks again for the assistance!
Ed