Coveting .mp4 to .mp3 files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mawallace44

Coveting .mp4 to .mp3 files

Post by mawallace44 »

I have a number of mp4 (audio) files which I want to convert to mp3.

Does Mediamokey convert the tags and information as well as the file?

I want to have the source on a directory that is not in my library - and I do not want to have the destination in the libary. Is that possible as last time I ended up with having the files in my library and it was a pain deleting 100 files!
JoePublic

Re: Coveting .mp4 to .mp3 files

Post by JoePublic »

MM will convert mp4 to mp3, but I believe you have to have the Gold version to convert anything to mp3 (due to licensing).

MM does preserve all tags in the converted file.

I convert files all the time that are not in my library. (Usually, I'm converting them prior to putting them into my library.) To load the files into MM in order to convert them, just open a file explorer window and either drag the track(s) into the Now Playing window of MM, or if you have the file association, right click the tracks and click "Open with Media Monkey".

Once you have them in Now Playing (they don't actually have to be playing), highlight the tracks, right-click and select "Send to../Folder (Rip/Convert)". That opens a window that shows you what each file will be converted to, including the path. You can set the destination path and ultimate filename to be whatever you want, including the use of variables like <Album> or <Track#>. That is also where you set the MP3 specification you want (bit rate, etc.).

By the way, the conversion doesn't necessarily delete the old files. That's an option you can set. IMO, it's better not to delete the old ones at the same time, just in case something goes wrong. You can always do it over if there's a problem.

I hope that helps.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Do you really need to convert to mp3? The mp4 format is a more advanced format that is generally accepted to produce higher quality audio at the same bitrate as mp3. Also if you are converting from a lossy format to another lossy format you lose more quality than if you were converting from the original to a lossy format.

Maybe you're planning on transferring the files to a device that cannot play mp4, but otherwise I would suggest keeping them in mp4 format.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Also converting from one lossy format to another will further degrade Audio.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
iMan_coyote

Post by iMan_coyote »

I'm trying to convert mp4 (video) files to mp3, mp4 or any audio format, but when I take the files to rip/convert all I get is video options, no audio. Do I need a plugin or something? I installed Quicktime but still run into the same problem. Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can't convert video to audio.
Peke

Post by Peke »

To append to lowlander that MMW doe not support demuxing which is teh term where you separate Video and Audio tracks from a video file.

Quick search found these results https://www.videohelp.com/software/sect ... ltiplexers
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts