Simple newbie question

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pdes

Simple newbie question

Post by pdes »

Over many years, I have collected and stored my albums in a single Windows directory. Now I need to "clean-up"the collection so that all music is correctly tagged enabling the viewing of the collection with various applications running on my server. My question is, if I use MM to clean and tag the database, will it update the original files with all the relevant data or, if not, could I replace the original file list with the new MM database so that it can be accessed by the server apps?

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Simple newbie question

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, by default any tag changes are saved to the files themselves as well: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
pdes

Post by pdes »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, by default any tag changes are saved to the files themselves as well: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
Many thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I am going to show my ignorance!

The music files I am updating are on the QNAP NAS. I access them via a mapped drive on my PC and I am trying MM on the pc.

I have conducted a short test but can confirm that that changes I made with MM have not been reflected in the folders on the NAS. Is this because I am working on Mapped drive? Is there a way of fixing this or am I trying to do something that's not possible?

If I am flogging a dead horse with this, is there another tack I can take to clean up the files on the NAS using MM?

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, a Mapped Drive has nothing to do with it.

You either disabled the option to write tag changes when editing properties (Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists) or MediaMonkey (the Windows User it is run as) doesn't have rights to edit files on the NAS.