MM deletes Idtag ID3 in WAV file

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

scalle

MM deletes Idtag ID3 in WAV file

Post by scalle »

Hi
i am running the latest version of MM. My music library consists of WAV-musicfiles, encoded with dbPowerAmp to contain ID3-tag. Each time I change the rate or add a rate in the library, the rating is not passed on to the file itself, more : in the properties of dbPowerAmp, ID3 as ID Tag is being deleted after hitting sync.

Am i doing something wrong here ?

Thanks for any reply.

Scalle
yarguy

Re: MM deletes Idtag ID3 in WAV file

Post by yarguy »

Yes, you are doing something wrong. You are using WAV and expecting tagging to work. The WAV format was created without any tagging format. There are have been several attempts to create a WAV tagging format; unfortunately, the different approaches tend to be incompatible with each other and I suspect that that is what you are experiencing. Convert your WAV to FLAC - you will lose nothing sonically and will gain a robust tagging system.
scalle wrote:Hi
i am running the latest version of MM. My music library consists of WAV-musicfiles, encoded with dbPowerAmp to contain ID3-tag. Each time I change the rate or add a rate in the library, the rating is not passed on to the file itself, more : in the properties of dbPowerAmp, ID3 as ID Tag is being deleted after hitting sync.

Am i doing something wrong here ?

Thanks for any reply.

Scalle
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Classic ID3-tag in WAV files are non standard and many many devices do not play WAV with classic ID3 tag as adding ID3 Tag in WAV file currupts normal RIFF Format header. The only valid tags in WAVs are RIFF LISTINFO Chunk and Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) so MMW fixes the format according to standard.

May I ask you why you use WAV when both FLAC and/or ALAC are freely available in MMW and widely supported across hardware and editors, especially as they are more superior to WAV?

From free WAV editor http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/WAV and some collected information http://wavmetadata.blogspot.com/
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
scalle

Post by scalle »

Hello

First of all i would like to thank you for your replies !

@yarguy : Indeed i have read that wav is not the best file format when it comes to tagging. But why does tagging work on other wav-files in my library then ?? They were all encoded with dbPowerAmp.

@Peke : the reason why i prefer wav is because i want the music in its purest form, also since storage capacity is not an issue for me. I might reconsider upon your advice to convert to FLAC or ALAC then. Some last piece of advice on which one is to prefer ?

Many thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

scalle wrote:@Peke : the reason why i prefer wav is because i want the music in its purest form, also since storage capacity is not an issue for me. I might reconsider upon your advice to convert to FLAC or ALAC then. Some last piece of advice on which one is to prefer ?
FLAC ATM is mayor free lossless codec for Hi-Bit Audio and natively supported in many many devices. ALAC was Apple proprietary codec and it is still much supported in older hardware. That said personally I moved myself to FLAC as it is fully lossless, and have great metadata support. WAV Audio Data converted to FLAC and back are Bit Identical.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
scalle

Post by scalle »

Hi

I have converted my entire music library to FLAC (uncompressed). When I now rate a song in MM, no matter what rating (1, 2, 3, 4), in the file properties it is rated always 5 :(.

I tried the sync function but that doesn't help anything. I also tried to delete the ID3-labels but that didn't help either.

When i use the sync node and after sync i repeat it the same files show up in the list.

MM is run as administrator.

Thanks for any reply
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey? Does the Timestamp (Date Modified) change after you use Synchronize Tags and how are you checking that the Rating hasn't been modified?
scalle

Post by scalle »

Hi Lowlander

I am using version 4.1.20.1864.
CHecking : i rate music file X in MM with 3 stars. I then go check the file in Windows Explorer where it has been appointed 5 stars.
Timestamp is being modified.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

If you go back and check in MM is the rating still 3 stars? There are known problems with how different programs read the information in the id3 rating tag. You might want to also check what rating other music players, such as foobar or musicbee (both are free), have for the tracks you rated in MM.
scalle wrote:Hi Lowlander

I am using version 4.1.20.1864.
CHecking : i rate music file X in MM with 3 stars. I then go check the file in Windows Explorer where it has been appointed 5 stars.
Timestamp is being modified.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Windows doesn't read FLAC well, that may be where the problem is.

To test, Rate a File 3 stars, create a Copy of the File and then import it (or view through the My Computer node in MediaMonkey) and see what Rating the Copy has. If 3 stars it has been successfully updated.
scalle

Post by scalle »

ok, the test succeeded. i wont worry about it then, thank you !