Adding genre to multiple files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Steve S.

Adding genre to multiple files

Post by Steve S. »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to add another Genre to a bunch of files that I select using the search function. My problem is, that whenever I "Search" for files I cannot reach the Genre tree/folder afterwards (which is easily accessible without the "Searching"). Using "Properties" after the Search doesn't work, either, as this will replace the existing genre instead of adding another to the existing one.

Is there a nice little workaround somewhere?!

Thanks

Steve S.
Lowlander

Re: Adding genre to multiple files

Post by Lowlander »

I don't follow what the exact problem is.

You can add multiple Genre's in the Genre field by using the Genre1; Genre2 format using ; as separate (default separator in MediaMonkey).
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I take it that the problem is that the files you find, to which you want to add a genre, actually already may have several different genres. In this case the genre field will be blank if you select all of the tracks and use Properties and you are right that "adding" your new genre will erase all the old, and different, genres. I don't know of any work-around for this other than sorting the results of your search by genre and then go existing genre by existing genre to add the new value.
Meander

Post by Meander »

RegExp Find & Replace could help (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=28510)

After searching, select all the tracks and use either

Preset 148: Add specified string as first item to multi-item <Into Field>...
or
Preset 149: Add specified string as last item to multi-item <Into Field>...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're selecting files with differing values you can hold the CTRL key down and drop them on the desired Genre in the Media Tree to have that Genre added to the files.
lueromat

Post by lueromat »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm If you're selecting files with differing values you can hold the CTRL key down and drop them on the desired Genre in the Media Tree to have that Genre added to the files.
How can I have genres in the Media Tree - I only see genres in the columns browser above the files.
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

How can I have genres in the Media Tree
Tools> Options> Library .. MediaTree
Double click on collection (Music?)
"TreeNodes" tab - activate GENRE
MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to expand a Collection node like Music to see the Genre sub-node. If it's missing than following instructions above to enabled it, File > Manage Collection and Configure the Music Collection to enable the Genre Tree Node.