Extensive file import...time frame?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kookykrazee

Extensive file import...time frame?

Post by kookykrazee »

Hi all, it has been quite a while since I posted as MM has worked great for me. Intrigued by 5.x things coming down the pipeline, even if it crashed trying to convert/import my current out of date DB.

The question I have, with my current 4.x MM build is how long SHOULD it possibly take to import all my files. As some remember, I have an extensive collection and I had MM4 going for about 36 hours and it was only about 1/4 of the way through my list.

Specs for system are as follows:
i7 7700k
32GB RAM
W10 Pro (all updates installed)
500,000+ files to import

I get that the scan/import will take a while, but I do not recall it taking this long when I had even 3/4 of what I have now. Would I be better off deleting the previous files that are in the DB and starting over or something else? One other idea I had was to add less folders to be added/scanned, but otherwise, I am stumped.

Thanks for a great product!

On a separate note, is there an option for file monitor in 5.x alphas?
Last edited by kookykrazee on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Extensive file import...time frame?

Post by Lowlander »

If you enable things like scan for duplicates, auto-analyze unanalyzed files and video thumbnail creation it can slow down the scan a lot.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Where is the auto-analyze unanalyzed files option? I do have the scan for duplicate options enabled.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Volume Leveling.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

kookykrazee wrote:Intrigued by 5.x things coming down the pipeline, even if it crashed trying to convert/import my current out of date DB.
Is this still an issue with the latest MM5 alpha?
If yes, would you mind you to zip your database (MM.DB file) and share a link to the file with us for analyzing?
You can upload the zipped DB to a free file hosting server (Box, DropBox, RapidShare, FileDropper,...) and share the link.
kookykrazee wrote: The question I have, with my current 4.x MM build is how long SHOULD it possibly take to import all my files. As some remember, I have an extensive collection and I had MM4 going for about 36 hours and it was only about 1/4 of the way through my list.
I've just tried and imported 5.000 tracks in 7 minutes, so 500.000 tracks should (teoretical) take 700 minutes, but practically it is getting slower with amount of the data already in the database. Maybe you could catch in debug log importing of the last 3/4 of your songs to see what we could optimize to get it faster for you?
kookykrazee wrote: On a separate note, is there an option for file monitor in 5.x alphas?
Yes, it is directly in the Add/Rescan dialog, see the Schedule column:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/am8pdtujxgai3 ... 4.png?dl=0
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

I tried adding in only 1 drive of files, that wasn't much faster, so I ultimately, close out MM4 and then restarted yesterday. Going on ~36 hours about 2/3 of the way adding files, so my guess is this time tomorrow, hopefully, it finishes...lol
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Okay, I am back, once again, moved, put computer/media center/lifeline in storage for a little while. I was setting MM4 (current live release). Added the 3 drives and subfolders with ~497k files. It went through the adding/scanning processed (took maybe 36 hours) and then popped up some files that either moved or have been removed or deleted or such and asked for scanning for moved files, I selected the folders where they might be and first pass finished, then 2nd pass has not moved in the past 10-11 hours (I left this morning for errands and came back late afternoon) at 2nd pass 437543 of 497537 files scanned.

I have not installed the debug version and if I do that now, it will likely take nearly as long to load again, right?

If I were to look at all the files at once, would I know which file is the 437543rd file or will I only be able to find out if I run the debug version?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Only from the DBGView would you be able to see which file. The process itself would start from scratch again if you use the debug version.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Started debug version last night, it is about 1/4 of the way through since then. will follow the debut info, if this happens when this is done :(