Advice on MM Setup on NAS

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

AZA

Advice on MM Setup on NAS

Post by AZA »

I have a pretty large music library on a Western Digital Mycloud NAS and have been using MM on my Windows 7 PC to organize and manage it with very little issues so far. I also use an iphone and really value the ability to access the MM library through itunes from my phone. I had to replace the HDD on my laptop recently though and have not yet re-installed MM. I have found some information regarding the portable install on a usb drive and on relocation of the database to NAS, but I am wondering about installing MM on the NAS. The library is already there, is it possible to also run MM from the NAS so that it can be accessed by any device on the network?
I am not an advanced user by any means but don't mind putting in work if it's possible. I have noticed that Linux installs of MM are not supported and I know that WD Mycloud firmware is Linux based but designed for Windows so I'm not sure if that's an issue or not.
And finally, if this is possible (or recommended), how could I make it work with the itunes sync features? My previous setup required Itunes to be running in order to run MM so I'm wondering if itunes can run from the PC or if it would need to be on the NAS as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Lowlander

Re: Advice on MM Setup on NAS

Post by Lowlander »

No, MediaMonkey can only run on Windows at this point. I'd also don't suggest keeping the database on the NAS unless you want to share it with several PCs. The reason being that there is a lot of database access in MediaMonkey and network access is much slower than a local hard drive. I'd just keep your media files on the NAS (don't use a Mapped drive).

MediaMonkey requires iTunes to be installed for iPhone sync.