Importing Media Monkey Data?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

charmingnathan

Importing Media Monkey Data?

Post by charmingnathan »

Hi All,

For sometime now I have been entering in data into the 'front page' (Artist, Title, Album, etc.) as well as the details tab, Record Label, Copyright information, and have realised that none of this information shows when playing the .mp3's back in Media Monkey, or any other player only the artist, title, year, and artwork.

Is there any way I can import this data into a database, or is there any searchable database function within Media Monkey, otherwise it would seem this data isn't 'visible' in anyway?

Thanks for your help.
Lowlander

Re: Importing Media Monkey Data?

Post by Lowlander »

You can change what the Player shows under Tools > Options > Playback Rules. In the Filelisting you can enable additional columns if you want to see more details (right click on Column Headers to select more columns to show.

By default most data is saved in both the files tags and the database: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Thanks Lowlander for that very helpful information.

I didn't know that one could adjust the data Media Monkey showed, very interesting.

With regards to the data, is it importable into another database, for example, one that has a radio station playout software as its front end?

For example, using Media Monkey to play and catalogue the .mp3's, then importing them into something like S.A.M. broadcaster or Radio DJ for playout?

I realise not all the data would be displayed in any music playout system, like iPlayer, but it would at least be searchable within its database.

I hope this makes sense?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey generally follows tagging standards, thus any files tagged in MediaMonkey will generally display the same metadata in other applications.

Any changes in 1 application generally require rescanning in the other to pick up the changes (most Apps are database data driven, not media file).
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Does that mean that if I were to just upload the .mp3 files I have catalogued using Media Monkey into another playout system, for example, RadioDJ, that the meta-data would 'just appear' in the right places within that application, such as record label, year, artwork, and copyright information, etc.?

I assumed there would almost certainly have to be some manual data input at some point... :(
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It really comes to an per app behavior. Not all apps support all fields.

I was never found of SAM, but I liked Jazler and Raduga. Dispite that I use MMW for years to stream My personal Radio stream.

To be sure all teh tags are in Sync you need to Sync Tags Tools -> Advanced Tag -> Sync tags (CTRL+S) and then rescan them in SAM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Generally yes, but it would require the other software to support the field in the first place and then the way MediaMonkey wrote it specifically. This generally works, but even with standards there are different ways to implement a tag.
charmingnathan

Post by charmingnathan »

Hi Peke,

Thanks for that, to be honest, the data would probably be imported into RadioDJ.

So step-by-step, would it be a case of syncing the tags in Media Monkey, as you suggest, then importing into RadioDJ (I assume it wouldn't be a 'true' import as such, just be uploading the files into the software?) then re-syncing in the app., in this case RadioDJ? Why is the syncing necessary?

I realise that not all the fields would necessarily be the same, but RadioDJ's database and RadioDJ itself is quite extensive in its fields.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Syncing in MediaMonkey will ensure that the values you see (database values) are saved to the files as well (by default this should happen anytime you edit a file). Then you scan your media in any other software.