Information Displayed.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

charmingnathan

Information Displayed.

Post by charmingnathan »

Hello all,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right thread (or forum really), but I couldn't see a thread for "Opinions sought", so here goes:

I manage a very small online setup, and spend a lot of time cataloguing music using Media Monkey - the service focuses on championing new artists and bands as well as playing the classic alternatives, so data that is important to us, may not be so to other stations, this includes record label and release date information, etc.

I recently experienced an E-Mail exchange with a pal of mine who is much more experienced in running online radio services than me, and told him about what I was doing, cataloguing wise; this was his response:

"Hi mate, Media Monkey is a great piece of software, but when it comes to data entry, be careful of not falling into the 'too much information' trap'. A few things you have to remember:

Firstly, almost all Internet radio/streaming services are listened to by the consumer via a smart phone, with few exceptions, so most of the information displayed will be on a comparatively small screen.

Secondly, with Media Monkey, one can enter information such as record label, release date (which is probably quite important with your service doing what it does), copyright information, and lyrics. But does your app. provider display all this?

Thirdly, most app. providers will show the artwork, artist, title, and some the year at the very most. The other information you enter into Media Monkey will only be shown if you're listening via that at the time.

Fourthly (that doesn't sound right somehow!): Not obvious. From published statistics most listeners to online radio using their smart phone as a radio, how do they do this? They prop it up on a desk and let the phone get on with it, the result of this for most is the screen saver comes on and goes black, so they can't see anything anyway - puts it into perspective a bit don't it?

Lastly, there is a counter-argument that if you're going to go the relevant page on Amazon or Discogs for the information, you may as well enter it in, otherwise it's like doing half the job, and your digital music collection doesn't have to be used for streaming only does it? The lyrics can be a pain though and take some while to download, when they're available - and CAN your listeners see them via their app.?

At the end of the day though it's up to you, how much time you have got to spend on this, and how much data you want displayed.

Just a thought!"

What do you think of his views? What data do other online operators enter into their music libraries? Is he correct is his assertions?

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your help.