Auto-organize problem with filenames

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JimPa

Auto-organize problem with filenames

Post by JimPa »

I'm not sure if this is a bug or just me doing somerthing wrong as a new MM user (entirely likely!)

So I have my music library coming from iTunes which has been imported to MM and I set it to auto organise all my music. As an example, the following track by Janis Joplin was previously titled in this format by iTunes:

03 A Woman Left Lonely.mp3

Now if I do anything to this track in MM which causes it to be renamed (for example by changing the rating from 4 stars to 5 stars) it gets automatically retitled to:

3 A Woman Left Lonely.mp3
(i.e. the leading 0 is dropped)

If this track was in any of my playlists, when I now go to try and play it the track is now greyed out and won't play when clicked. Or if I just search for it in my whole library, it also appears greyed out and won't play any more. If I right-click it and look at the file path in Properties it shows the old filename (with the leading 0) which is presumably why it can't find or play it any more.

My Auto-Organize rule is set up as follows:

File Format:
<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> <Title>

Should I have done some kind of initial scan/reset of all tracks so that they're all renamed by MM? I don't want to lose all my existing playcounts or other metadata so hoping someone can tell me what I've done wrong.

Thank you.
JimPa

Re: Auto-organize problem with filenames

Post by JimPa »

I think I figured it out - I'll need to batch process the entire library first so that MM renames the files according to the format it's going to be using going forward.

When all I had actually done was define the Auto-Organize rule under Tools>Library>Auto-Organize which I guess will only be applied to future filename changes.

So if I'm right, I'll need to select the whole library and then apply Tools>Auto-Organize Files...

I also found the handy trick of applying a leading zero by formatting it as <Track#:2>

I'll get there eventually ;)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize is triggered when a file is edited or scanned into MediaMonkey. Thus when you set a rule you'll need to apply it through Auto-Organize Files on existing files. Any files renamed by MediaMonkey should not cause problems on Playlists in MediaMonkey (external Playlists won't be updated) or within the MediaMonkey Library. However if anything outside of MediaMonkey renames the file it will become a Dead Link.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

You will also need to change your file format for the leading 0. Use this:

<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> <Title>
JimPa wrote:was previously titled in this format by iTunes:

03 A Woman Left Lonely.mp3

Now if I do anything to this track in MM which causes it to be renamed (for example by changing the rating from 4 stars to 5 stars) it gets automatically retitled to:

3 A Woman Left Lonely.mp3
(i.e. the leading 0 is dropped)

If this track was in any of my playlists, when I now go to try and play it the track is now greyed out and won't play when clicked. Or if I just search for it in my whole library, it also appears greyed out and won't play any more. If I right-click it and look at the file path in Properties it shows the old filename (with the leading 0) which is presumably why it can't find or play it any more.

My Auto-Organize rule is set up as follows:

File Format:
<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> <Title>
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Thank you, seems to be working OK now.

Much to learn but it's obvious there are so many benefits of using MM over iTunes. I tried it years ago but there were a few reasons I put up with the bloated mess that iTunes has become. No more!

So glad I've tried MM again now - much kudos to the devs and community!