Dragging and managing new files to library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JimPa

Dragging and managing new files to library

Post by JimPa »

Sorry if this is a noob question, I have been trying to search for the answer but am getting a bit confused with all the different ways of doing things!

I'm a new Gold user coming from iTunes which has previously auto managed the location of my 160GB library in the following format on my hard drive:

iTunes Library>Music>Artist>Album Title>01 Song name.mp3

Previously if I wanted to add new music to my library I used to just drag and drop mp3 files from my desktop onto iTunes which would then place them in the correct folder on my hard drive. I would then delete the files on my desktop. I've managed to scan my existing library into MM and it all looks great but I'm just trying to figure out how I add new tracks in the closest way that I used to do it (old dog/new tricks etc).

I'm trying to keep it simple so I've just got a 'Music' node in the MM tree that I thought I could drag an mp3 onto. If I do that, the track does appear in my library but it just shows the desktop location of the dragged mp3 and doesn't seem to place it in a relevant library folder like iTunes used to.

I know/think it's something to do with Auto Organize but I'm wary of messing up my existing library of 25,000 tracks.

So what I want to do is to get MM to place a dragged file into my existing library folder using the same structures, and keeping all the existing tracks as they are.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thank you :)
Lowlander

Re: Dragging and managing new files to library

Post by Lowlander »

You can drag & drop on any Collection root node like Music. Then you will need to configure Tools > Options > Auto-Organize to move the files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0

You can also do it manually using Tools > Auto-Organize Files.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Thank you! I thought I'd tried that but realised I hadn't checked the 'Automatically organize files (during scans or edits)' button. Seems to be working perfectly now :)

I realise I'm going to have a bit of learning/wiki searching to do but if I can ask one completely unrelated thing I noticed, it looks like MM treats Classical Music as a completely different thing than Music. Is there an easy way to treat them all as one group?

It looks like I could just select all my Classical files and change the 'Type' from Classical Music to just Music. Does the Classical Music grouping just allow you to tag things like movements/soloists etc more accurately?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Any recent release has both Music and Classical Music in the same Music (and Gold users can modify this) Collection. So the only other major affect is the Properties dialog which receives a different layout based on the Type a file is assigned.