Tips on massive collection migration

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Onweerwolf

Tips on massive collection migration

Post by Onweerwolf »

Hi,

I would like to make sure to prepare in the best way possible to prevent problems.

I want to move all of my Music Files to a new location. They are currently sitting on USB drive and are going to find a new home on an in-system drive. The USB drive will still have all the files as well as a backup but I want MM to link to the in-system drive after the migration. The collection is 55.000+ files and over 500 GB.

What would be the best way to do this? Using a script? All the paths will change in a similar way; from M:\Data\Mp3's\Artist (Country)\Format\Album\ to W:\Music\Artist (Country)\Format\Album\

Seems to me that the easiest way and with the least amount of room for error is to copy everything using OS Explorer and then a script to change all the paths in a batch.

What script is good for that? Any other tips or ideas?

I know I could use Auto-organize for this but i'm afraid MM will get stuck on such a big job and make possible errors which I then cannot find to fix.

(I will obviously backup the DB before attempting anything, I always do that.)
Lowlander

Re: Tips on massive collection migration

Post by Lowlander »

Copy files in any way you see fit, then: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... n+database
Onweerwolf

Re: Tips on massive collection migration

Post by Onweerwolf »

Thnx! That does seem like the best idea.