Analyzing Volume And What It Actually Means

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Clevelandkid

Analyzing Volume And What It Actually Means

Post by Clevelandkid »

So after reading what seemed like hundreds of comments and question about analyzing volume and track volume leveling, I am still rather confused by what it is that I actually need MM to do and how to have MM do it. So maybe it would help to describe how I use MM and what I am trying to accomplish.

Basically, I use MM to store my music library of 9000 songs and growing, into a organized format and that I can listen to both in my Home and in my car.
I normally just let MM play the tracks at random.
These songs have been put into MM in one of three ways. 1.) Riping from a purchased CD, 2.) Downloaded from Amazon via MP3 file tracks or 3.) Transferred from a home produced CD.
In this process , I have noticed that the volume of the tracks vary in volume .
I have used the track" volume leveling " option in " tools " which I assume is working to some degree , but still hear some variances in some of the tracks as they play. ( the loudest come from the MP3 downloads from Amazon)

In order to try to make these differences in volume some what uniform, I discovered something in " Tools " called "Analyzing Volume" right above" Volume Leveling".
I assumed that that meant MM would analyze each track in my library , find the average volume of all the tracks and adjust the volume up or down of each track .( I am looking for uniform volume of all the tracks in the library), so I clicked on it!

I am not savvy about "Tags " and the like, but would like to get a better understanding of what " Analyzing Volume" means and does, (which of course is now doing something by the yellow flashes of tracks on the bar below my library and "tagging " them ?.) , and most importantly , learn how to have MM level out the volume of all my songs.
I am not sure if I have messed anything up in this process!

Can someone tell me in "very simple " ( Layman's) terms , how to accomplish MM to level the volume of all the track so I don't have to keep adjusting the Player volume control.

Much thanks to all,
CK
Lowlander

Re: Analyzing Volume And What It Actually Means

Post by Lowlander »

Analyze Volume only analyze the volume offset and saves this offset in the tags. There is both Track and Album Volume. It is then up to the Player to use this calculated offset to adjust the Player volume when playing a file so all files have uniform volume (Play > Level Playback Volume in MediaMonkey).

Amazon downloads often already come with volume offset values, but they're incorrect. This means they play louder and sometimes distorted. You'll need to re-analyze them in MediaMonkey (make sure the option to only do it for unknown values is disabled under Tools > Options > Volume Leveling).