Album art lookup

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TroubleClef

Album art lookup

Post by TroubleClef »

I'm having trouble finding the correct album art for some of my jazz albums. When I go into edit properties and hit the album art lookup button, I 'm not coming up with the right stuff. It seems like there should be a way to see more than one choice at a time rather than having to close out and keep hitting the button.

Am I doing it wrong or is there another way to do this?

Also, is it better to save the artwork to both the tag and folder?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
dtsig

Re: Album art lookup

Post by dtsig »

I find the the best way to handle album covers is to google search. Finding the right cover for older albums is always a problem. I just got a couple older ones .. Dexter Gordon and Duke Ellington .. but the auto covers were wrong. So I simply google for the specific albums and works like a charm. This really helps when you get a combo/collection cd. I got a 12album collection of Dexter Gordon and had to create individual albums out of it.

As for which is best .. i think it is personal preference. I save to tag and to the folder.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

A good source for album cover art is allmusic.com. Click on the small cover that comes up when you get an album's details and then copy the large image, usually 500 x 500. albumartexchange.com has even higher res versions of SOME albums. Most of the search programs use one of the amazon web sites and amazon is anything but systematic in how it handles cover art. The cover art sometimes differs from country to country and the different amazon's will have different art. Wikipedia often has album art, but it is often pretty lo-res.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

@TroubleClef I forgot to mention I also find a lot of good artwork ad Discogs good old jazz and early R&R ..
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Good suggestions, thanks! So, find it online, download, then navigate to the file in MM and save it to file/folder?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I like to copy the URL of the Artwork and paste it in the Add Artwork dialog to add it a file. Copy & Paste of Artwork from a website also works.
TroubleClef

Post by TroubleClef »

Lowlander wrote:I like to copy the URL of the Artwork and paste it in the Add Artwork dialog to add it a file. Copy & Paste of Artwork from a website also works.

Sounds interesting, tried to copy/paste a url but didn't seem to do anything...
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

TroubleClef wrote:Sounds interesting, tried to copy/paste a url but didn't seem to do anything...
Does the url you are pasting end with a graphic extension like .jpg?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you need to copy the image URL, not the webpage URL. Most browser will allow this by right clicking on the image.