MMW always restores to first monitor

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

MMW always restores to first monitor

Post by MPG »

Hi,
Just got another monitor for Christmas so I now have a dual monitor setup. :D :)
Set up as follows
#1 on the left
#2 on the right

I have MM playing on the #2 monitor. Periodically, I have to minimize MM. It minimizes on #2, however, when I restore it always restores onto #1.

Is this expected behavior? I would expect it to restore to the last monitor it was maximized on.

I just tried running a statistics report to put at the bottom of this post and the window opened up on #1 even though MM is running on #2. Not the behavior I expected.

TIA:
Totals
Artists: 23520
Albums: 45324
Tracks: 255646
Length: (h:mm:ss) 16670:05:36
File size: 1.67 TB
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
MMFrLife

Re: MMW always restores to first monitor

Post by MMFrLife »

It should restore to the last window it was opened in, regardless of which monitor you launch it from. Min/Max should stay in whatever monitor it is currently in.
Is your setup "extended"? Which one is the main monitor (so I can test). Check what it says in Display Settings.

What OS?
Last edited by MMFrLife on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
MPG

Post by MPG »

Thanks for the response.
Yes, my display is extended.
#1 is my main display.
TIA
MPG
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

So you launched it from 1, moved it to 2, and then did the min-max/restore?

What OS?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
MPG

Post by MPG »

Yes. Launched it from 1, moved it to 2, then did the min/max/restore

Win10 with all updates.
TIA
MPG
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

It works for me on Win7. Is it the only program you are aware of that does that?
What version of MM?
😜
MPG

Post by MPG »

Yes, it appears that MM is the only app responding that way.
Running 4.14.1813
Tried: TextPad, KeyPass, FileZilla and Excel. All worked as expected. Opened on monitor #1, moved to #2, minimized or resized, then maximized. All maximized to #2.
All of them even remember which monitor they were last positioned in when they were reopened. MM always opens in #1.
TIA
MPG
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

hmm...that's odd. It works properly for me.

Try changing the "main" monitor to the other one and doing the same "Launch from main/move/min-max.".
😜
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

I've never seen this behaviour using dual and triple monitor setups on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 but there was a related issue here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =7&t=69657

Basically Windows 10 lets you have a taskbar on each monitor with the icons switching between taskbars when you move the window to another monitor. MM always stays on the primary monitor's taskbar even when you move the window to another monitor. That issue is apparently resolved in MM5 but it doesn't seem likely that it will be fixed in MM4.

Your issue is probably part of that but with yours there may be something in your graphics driver which is causing MM to restore to the primary monitor.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

If you have access to another computer with multiple monitors then you could try creating a portable installation of MM. Run it on your computer and then on the other computer to see if they both restore to the primary monitor.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Same here Win10 dual monitor, run on monitor 2 and minimize/maximize keeps it on monitor 2. MM does always start on monitor 1 and taskbar button remains on monitor 1.
MPG

Post by MPG »

I have a dual monitor at work with Win7 so I tried a full install. Same behavior. Opens on #1. Drag to #2. Minimize (stays on #2). Maximize: restores on #1.
When I minimize, I have MM set up to automatically minimize to the miniplayer.

Noticed something interesting on my Win7 machine. Continually minimizing and restoring will switch the restore back and forth between monitor's #1 to #2. The minimize is always to monitor #2. I'll test the repeating process tonight at home.

On my Win10 machine at home, I have the taskbar set up to be on both monitors.

Thanks for your interest in this. It's obviously not critical, just unexpected behavior.
TIA
MPG
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

MPG wrote:I have MM set up to automatically minimize to the miniplayer.
Looks like that's the cause. I set mine to minimize to miniplayer and it started restoring to the primary monitor.
dunster

Post by dunster »

In windows 10, this is working for me:

- start MediaMonkey
- drag to other monitor
- don't maximise, but make MM window smaller it is smaller inside the screen.
- end MM via menu, file, exit.
- start MM again, now it is on your chosen screen
- now maximise and exit MM via Menu, File, exit.
- start MM again and now everything is correct.
cougar - dunster crew