memory use?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

captain paranoia

memory use?

Post by captain paranoia »

I have about 65k tracks. I have recently bought a little Windows 8.1 tablet to run MM. It has 1GB of memory.

When I run up MM, with the Art Browser selected, the memory load ramps up until all 1GB is used up, and a lot of error reports are generated.

With a different view selected (e.g. 'Show Art'), the memory load remains manageable, regardless of how much of the library is selected.

Is this memory usage difference expected, and if so, is there anything I can do to bring it within the 1GB bounds?

MMW 4.1.13.1801
MMFrLife

Re: memory use?

Post by MMFrLife »

That sounds fairly expected as the art browser view is much more taxing on minimal ram and processor.
It shows the art but also displays it as an effect, whereas the show art simply does that.
What are the full specs on the tablet?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Using it here keeps MediaMonkey on 200MB, it did go up though. You may want to capture a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support for analysis as you may have a memory leak: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
captain paranoia

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure that the memory use difference is expected. The images used in both cases are small thumbnails, so they're only a few tens of kB. So, unless it's caching all artwork in working memory, I can't see it needing that much (and wouldn't it cache the same images for both viewing modes?). And I'd expect any viewport projection to be done only on the few images in the current viewport, which should be a trivial amount of memory.

I also have an 'all-in-one' Atom-based PC, running Win7 Pro, with 2GB. With artwork browser, that just peaks over the 1GB limit, but, of course, has room to spare. If it's a leak, it plugs itself...

Not the entire 1GB is used by MM, as Windows bloatware accounts for a big chunk. Art browser is currently using about 122MB commit, 110MB working (in Process Monitor: basic Task Manager reports only 85MB; I need to figure out the reporting differences).

I'll see if I can capture a log.

Tablet is a Linx 7. all-in-one is a Viewsonic vpc100.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

captain paranoia wrote:Not the entire 1GB is used by MM, as Windows bloatware accounts for a big chunk. Art browser is currently using about 122MB commit, 110MB working (in Process Monitor: basic Task Manager reports only 85MB; I need to figure out the reporting differences).
You led us to believe it was far more, those are normal numbers, mine are higher even without using the Art Browser.
captain paranoia

Right, now that I've reported sensible use for the show art view, I turned on the art browser. commit went up to 900MB, working to 425MB, private to 410MB, with Task Manager reporting 400MB.

As it looked like it was about to go into 100% physical total, I switched back to show art. Working and private are very slowly ramping down, so it sounds like it's unloading.

Does this still sound normal?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said, I didn't see that with the Art Browser.
captain paranoia

Let it run to error this time. Commit up to 1.5GB, working up to 650MB, then dropped back to 200MB. MM brings up error messages about insufficient memory to complete operation, and unable to create thread. Cannot get to menus, so had to kill task. Memory instantly dumped.

Amazing how much memory is needed just to run iexplorer, task manager and performance monitor... 463MB physical in use.

Wasn't it Bill Gates who once commented about not seeing why anyone would ever need more than 640kB...?
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Mine is sat at 108MB in art browser. That increases to 118MB while I'm scrolling through the artwork but then drops back to 108MB when I stop. That's with 866 albums. Do a lot of your tracks contain individual artwork, perhaps a large number of video tracks? Or do you see a lot of the artwork duplicated in the art browser?
captain paranoia

Right: fired up the Viewsonic. Run MM. Enable artwork browser.

Commit, working and private all rise in very similar manner, peaking at about 450/438/415MB. 1130MB memory used in total. Art browser working fine, with no error reports.That commit figure appears to be the problem; it's the total of physical and virtual memory for a process. Since the tablet is hitting the limit of physical memory, it's having to page that large commit out to slower memory. Quite why it's needing that much memory, when the same version of MM, accessing the same media, running under Win7 Pro on the Atom-based Viewsonic (the Linx tablet is an Atom) needs much less, I don't know. Maybe it's a Win8.1 interaction.

Working set = private + shareable.

> Do a lot of your tracks contain individual artwork

Tracks all have common album artwork; no individual artwork per track.

> perhaps a large number of video tracks?

No video tracks in the library at all.

> Or do you see a lot of the artwork duplicated in the art browser?

No duplicated artwork: artwork browser shows one album cover per album, and 'details' shows the tracks for that album.

Again: same media files, same version of MM, similar processor. Differences are Windows version and amount of physical memory.

Puzzled...
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Just to be absolutely clear, is the the exact same library, i.e. you copied the MM.db and all the files in the same folder from the tablet to the PC or vice versa?
captain paranoia

The media is stored on a NAS, so no media copying is required.

But, yes, I copied the mm.db file as a quick way of setting up the library, rather than have it scan 1.5TB of media via WiFi.