playlist folders

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

denisova

playlist folders

Post by denisova »

Here's a playlist-related question: How to make playlist folders?

I would like to organize and group my playlists in folders and subfolders—instead of having them appear in a simple alphabetical list under the Playlists node.

Why playlist folders? Because I have a ton of autoPlaylists, so many that I must scroll down the media tree to see them all. Many of these playlists simply act as feeds into other lists, so I'd like to tuck them away into a place where they don't hog screen real estate.

Or… suggestions for a workaround that lets you organize dozens of playlists in a way that doesn't eat up screen real estate.

thx,
denisova
MMW Gold v4.1.7 (portable mode)

p.s. I hope I don't enrage anyone giving an itunes example:
You'd add a playlist folder like this: File > New Playlist Folder. You can move and drag the resulting folder anywhere you'd like in the playlist area at the right side of the app window. You can also drag playlists into or out of any playlist folders. And you can drag folders into another playlist folder, thereby creating a subfolder
MMFrLife

Re: playlist folders

Post by MMFrLife »

You can't put them into folders, but you can create an empty playlist with whatever you name it and drag playlists into it for
collapsible parent playlist categories that contain sub-playlists.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
denisova

Post by denisova »

Okay, so you organize playlists hierarchically without need of folders. Very efficient.

Thx MMFrLife.
denisova
dennisparrott

Post by dennisparrott »

this is why you invest the time in having a forum... occasionally someone does a search and finds the actual answer to a question...

i was going to post "how do I create a playlist folder like I did in iTunes?"...

i would NEVER have thought to drag a playlist into another playlist like this... _NEVER_ ...

...but it works wonderfully...

Thanks everybody (and especially all you MM devs!!)
Cienega32

Post by Cienega32 »

I discovered that myself quite accidentally a while back. Very handy little "feature" when you run a ton of playlists with obscure names.

Also, worthy of note, when you run the "Export all playlists" script, the parent (empty) playlist name will become part of the child playlist name: "Empty playlist (parent) name - actual playlist name" is the naming convention on the export (also handy, IMHO).
little.fico

Post by little.fico »

Since this is a quite current conversation i would like to thank you that there is a good way to organize music.
i am trying to start all over with my old ipod nano 7g but i dont know, how you guys are doing this. could you please tell me which options are important?
i want to do it all right so please help me.
i am using 4.1.23 MM for free if that is important.

to be clear what i want.
i want some 10 playlists with different music. (would it be a problem if a "the_song.mp3" appers to be on "playlist1.m3u" and "playlist5.m3u" ?

thx in advance
DireStraits7

Post by DireStraits7 »

Unfortunately this 'playlist within another playlist' doesn't seem to work when syncing to an iPod (Classic, 5th gen.). It just creates multiple playlists instead of playlist folders.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Correct, nested Playlists only works with MediaMonkey for Android.
bandcoach

Post by bandcoach »

happy to find this

Following the procedure (or so I thought), I came across another nice "feature" or undocumented facet is that if you right click on an existing playlist, you can create new nested playlist within that one

this just keeps getting better and better