Tag Management

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

greycobalt

Tag Management

Post by greycobalt »

I use iTunes as my player, but MM as my info editor since iTunes kind of sucks at that. What I'd like to do is make sure that all my tags and changes I make to the tags are written to the actual file, since I use iTunes and my Android phone to play the files, and they come out nuts if I don't. I believe it's tagged a good majority of them properly, but some files still don't have album art or the correct file name. How do I tell MM to write the information to the file? Is there something specific I'm missing? I'm pretty new to the whole advanced management scene so I'm fairly incompetent, and Google searches weren't getting me places.

Also, does anyone know why sorting in MM won't work properly? The majority of songs are sorted right, but a couple hundred are in totally wrong places (there's some E's in the W's). I know iTunes has a "sorting" field where you can customize where they show up, but I'd rather have them all show up as is. How does MM handle that, and how can I make everything sort properly? Thanks in advance for the help!
Lowlander

Re: Tag Management

Post by Lowlander »

By default (Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists) MediaMonkey is set to save tags to the files for most file formats on edit: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0

However you're referring to filenames, which isn't tags and would be done automatically if you use Auto-Organize (Tools > Options > Auto-Organize) and Artwork which either is saved to the tags or to a file depending on your settings (Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists).
greycobalt

Post by greycobalt »

Lowlander wrote:By default (Tools > Options > Tags & Playlists) MediaMonkey is set to save tags to the files for most file formats on edit: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
What about items I haven't edited in MediaMonkey yet? A large majority of my music was just imported into the library, and I haven't edited it yet with MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In most cases those tags were already present and read by MediaMonkey (thus nothing needs to be saved) and where tags were guesses (Infer File Properties) they won't have been saved to the files, but will when making any edit.

The Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags subnode in a Collection (like Music) node in the Media Tree will show files with a discrepancy between database (MediaMonkey) and tag (file) values. Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags will save database values to files for selected files.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I have a situation where my new portable player is reading the filename as the title when playing music from the folder option on the player. In a number of cases I was surprised to find that MM had not changed the filename to be in sync with the title. Reading this post I now understand that it could have happened because it may not have been necessary to edit the title tag. All the discrepancies found so far come from one label (Hyperion) and they are very good with their tags and I rarely need to edit them.

I ran "Synchronize Tags" but none of these files came up. I checked for an option in "Files to Edit" but cannot find an easy way to have MM change the file name to be in sync with the Title tag other than manual editing.

The player plays all file formats and resolutions and as a result Synchronizing is not necessary, it is simply drag and drop via File Explorer which is quicker when moving large numbers of files

Any ideas?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Filenames won't be update on tag changes unless you enabled Tools > Options > Auto-Organize to do so.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Using Magic Nodes it seems that there are 11090 files in my library where the file name differs from the Title, a BIG job to fix manually!

I searched for a script to do this but could not find one. Unless someone out there can suggest a solution it looks like this is going to be THE job for winter!
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Pietercape wrote:Using Magic Nodes it seems that there are 11090 files in my library where the file name differs from the Title, a BIG job to fix manually!

I searched for a script to do this but could not find one. Unless someone out there can suggest a solution it looks like this is going to be THE job for winter!
You don't need any script. Tools > Auto-organize
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Setup Tools > Auto-Organize and it will do it for you automatically: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... enames/4.0
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Thanks for the suggestions but I hesitate to use Auto Organize. I have spent 100's of hours on tagging and as 95% of my music is Classical I have a very specific Folder/File structure that has worked well for me in MM over the years and I have read too many posts about Auto Organize gone wrong in inexperienced hands.

In any event and from my total lack of knowledge of Auto Organize I wonder how, if the track name becomes the filename the file type (.MP3 or .Flac etc) will be inserted?

I have found a workaround on my player to display the track name instead of the file name but nevertheless most file names in classical are very long and there is no consistency so simply as a matter of good housekeeping, if there was a solution it will be a good clean-up exercise.

Thanks for trying to help.
Library 23k tracks
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

If you don't feel confident with auto-organize .. DO NOT USE IT!.
You could create a dummy set of files on another drive and practice with that .. but it will do what you say and if what you say isn't really what you mean then recovery is a real pain.
Like I said do some practice on copies .. and be sure to back up your current files before you do anything.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Pietercape wrote:Thanks for the suggestions but I hesitate to use Auto Organize. I have spent 100's of hours on tagging and as 95% of my music is Classical I have a very specific Folder/File structure that has worked well for me in MM over the years and I have read too many posts about Auto Organize gone wrong in inexperienced hands.

In any event and from my total lack of knowledge of Auto Organize I wonder how, if the track name becomes the filename the file type (.MP3 or .Flac etc) will be inserted?

I have found a workaround on my player to display the track name instead of the file name but nevertheless most file names in classical are very long and there is no consistency so simply as a matter of good housekeeping, if there was a solution it will be a good clean-up exercise.

Thanks for trying to help.
If all you are trying to do is change the filename to match the titles in your library, it's very simple. Just put:

Code: Select all

.\<Title>
as your destination. That will leave the folder structure exactly as is and only change the filenames to exactly match the Title field for the tracks in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi nohitter151
Many, Many thanks! and not the first time you have helped me over the years. Used it and what a great tool to tidy up a database. It's true that Knowledge=Power, thanks for sharing. :D :D
Library 23k tracks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you don't trust Auto-Organize don't use it (I don't either), instead use Tools > Auto-Organize Files manually to modify the folder/filenames based on tags. It will show you the changes before you apply them. However this is a manual task you'd need to do anytime you change tags.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Thank you Lowlander. Yes, I have found that even in manual mode there can be unintended consequences and so one needs to be very careful. It seems to be a great tool but I am still quite wary of it.
Library 23k tracks