Access violation at address 00AFADFC

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

airider

Access violation at address 00AFADFC

Post by airider »

Hey folks. For several years now I've been getting similar errors to the following with new music added to my MM library and then added to the Now Playing list. It doesn't stop the player from playing the music but is a nuisance to constantly have to deal with these pop-ups.

This started happening with all versions after 4.0.7.1511 (4.0.7.1511 was the last "good" version that didn't do this). Most of my new music is added from Amazon, however music not added via Amazon (via CD Rips or other means) also causes this issue.

Different files give different error codes but they all say the same thing except for the code numbers/letters.

Here is the error code. I can send snap shots of the pop-window if needed.

"Access violation at address 00AFADFC in module 'MediaMonkey.exe'. Read of address DECDE906". The only option on the pop-up window is "Okay" and the red X button to close the window.

This has happened on various hardware combinations consistently as I've upgraded my PCs over the years. Here's my latest info.

System details:
Windows 7 sp1
Intel I5
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
2x 1TB HD
MMFrLife

Re: Access violation at address 00AFADFC

Post by MMFrLife »

Since you've been having trouble with it for such a long time with various system incarnations and now
with clearly capable current hardware and OS, I suggest you capture in a debug.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69

Steps 1 - 4a.. Particularly 4a.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

sounds like the folder is set to read only?
might be the file is being loaded as a read only file and monkey can't change it's rating or time stamp. 8)

PS.
might also be the folder the mmdb is in has been set to have it and the files in it as read only. that would make it toss an access error too. but would do it all the time that way?
still on multiple system hardware config's tells me it is something from online causing it. umm? I wonder if mm is trying to update the time stamp of the online file? :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
g6sv876f

Post by g6sv876f »

Version 4.1.0.1692 was released on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 3:36 am

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p382698

That's 12 months and eight days ago, not several years.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

g6sv876f wrote:Version 4.1.0.1692 was released on Fri Jan 31, 2014 at 3:36 am

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p382698

That's 12 months and eight days ago, not several years.

It's 4.0.7.1511, not the one you mentioned.

And he is saying he's had similar problems with it for several years but not necessarily with "every" version.
However, "since" the above mentioned version it "has" happened with every one.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
g6sv876f

Post by g6sv876f »

4.0.7.1511 "was" the last good version, right up to the point it "was" superceded by 4.1.0.1692 (12 months and 8 days ago).

Anyway, pedantry apart, he just needs to quit playing around with RAID and other such trinkets of technological joy if he wants a peaceful life.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Pedantry....really?

The part about the version was more than just a minor detail.
You clearly misunderstood what he was saying as the second part of my response expalins.

And the "assumption" about what the OP is doing or not doing: "quit playing around with RAID and other such trinkets
of technological joy if he wants a peaceful life." Wow, that's ripe. :roll:

And the last "good" version is "partly" relative to one's environment and the amount of trouble they are having with it.
Access violations are related to memory and can occur in many different scenarios. I've had them before and they had nothing to do
with RAID and other such technological wizardry.
Last edited by MMFrLife on Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
😜
g6sv876f

Post by g6sv876f »

The reference to 'pedantry' was on my part. I wasn't referring to you.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

fair enough.
😜
airider

Post by airider »

sounds like the folder is set to read only?
might be the file is being loaded as a read only file and monkey can't change it's rating or time stamp. 8)

PS.
might also be the folder the mmdb is in has been set to have it and the files in it as read only. that would make it toss an access error too. but would do it all the time that way?
still on multiple system hardware config's tells me it is something from online causing it. umm? I wonder if mm is trying to update the time stamp of the online file? :-?
rovingcowboy, thanks. I'll look into the read-only settings and see what effect that has. Hadn't really thought of that since I can copy and paste the music without issue into the folder, but obviously if files were to be modified by MM for some reason, read-only would affect that.
errolbest1

Post by errolbest1 »

I, too, am having problems with this error message. I have removed the 'read only' setting from the folders concerned but am still having problems. It is a PITA. Every time I play a tune the error message appears. If I change anything using 'Properties ' I get the message twice. If I do a bulk change e.g 20 files, I get the message 60 times !!!!!! I have version 4.1.5.1719 on the computer giving problems. On my other computer, I have version 4.0.7.1511 with no problems. Can anyone give me an actual solution.

Errol
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

errolbest1 wrote:I, too, am having problems with this error message. I have removed the 'read only' setting from the folders concerned but am still having problems. It is a PITA (pain in the a***). Every time I play a tune the error message appears. If I change anything using 'Properties ' I get the message twice. If I do a bulk change e.g 20 files, I get the message 60 times !!!!!! I have version 4.1.5.1719 on the computer giving problems. On my other computer, I have version 4.0.7.1511 with no problems. Can anyone give me an actual solution not could be's.

Errol
It is most likely a permissions issue, are the tracks in question on an external drive or have been copied from another PC? Also your version of MediaMonkey is out of date.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
errolbest

Post by errolbest »

The tracks are on an external hard drive. I have tried to upgrade my version of MediaMonkey but when I click on 'check for updates' it says checking but then nothing happens. Still scratching my head.

Errol
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just download and install the update: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 52#p406952

(it seems the servers were having issues yesterday)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

errolbest wrote:The tracks are on an external hard drive. I have tried to upgrade my version of MediaMonkey but when I click on 'check for updates' it says checking but then nothing happens. Still scratching my head.

Errol
Ok so the problem is that your Windows user does not have ownership of the files and so MediaMonkey cannot modify them.

See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 53659.aspx
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.