Playing tracks with higher ratings more frequently

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

UnderCoverGuy

Playing tracks with higher ratings more frequently

Post by UnderCoverGuy »

It took long enough but I’ve gone through and rated all of my music tracks. Now, I would like to be able to hear my tracks based on their rating (the higher rated tracks should be played more). Does MMW allow this (I’m using MMW v4.1.5.1719).

If not, can I configure an autoplaylist so that it has duplicates? Then I could have the tracks with 5 stars in the playlist 5 times, those with 4 stars in the playlist 4 times, etc. Doe MMW support this?

Or is there some other way that I can create a randomized autoplaylist (of all but bombs) that give the tracks with a higher rating a better chance at being played. I’m looking into MegaDJ but haven’t gotten it to work the way I wanted to yet.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Playing tracks with higher ratings more frequently

Post by Lowlander »

There is no setting for this (there are discussions on requests for this). Auto-Playlists can't contain duplicates.

However, through multiple Auto-Playlists and Auto-Playlist referencing other Playlists you can achieve a similar affect. To do this:

AutoPlaylist Genre 5: Rating = 5, Files max 200, Sort Random
AutoPlaylist Genre 4: Rating = 4, Files max 100, Sort Random
AutoPlaylist Genre 3: Rating = 3, Files max 50, Sort Random

AutoPlaylist Combined: Playlist = AutoPlaylist Genre 5, AutoPlaylist Genre 4, AutoPlaylist Genre 3, Sort Random

You can use Auto-DJ to automatically play files from this playlist at which point you'll also get files repeated (duplication). Note that you may want to use Last Played in the AutoPlaylist criteria to prevent files to be played again too soon if you use Auto-DJ.
UnderCoverGuy

Post by UnderCoverGuy »

Thanks, not sure if I'm doing this correctly or not.

First, do I need to set the max files in my Auto-Playlist (I want the final outcome to include all tracks). What I have is five Auto-Playlists:

One for tracks with 5 stars (random no file limit)
One with 4+ stars (random no file limit)
One with 3+ stars (random no file limit)
One with 2+ stars (random no file limit)
One with 1+ stars (random no file limit)

Then I have another "final" Auto-Playlist which contains all five of the Auto-Playlists mentioned above (what I am thinking is that a song rated with 5 stars would be in each of the above Auto-Playlists so in effect it is there 5 times, even though I don't see the duplicate listed in the "final" Auto-Playlist, is that correct?). In this "final" Auto-Playlist, the Match is set to "Any", Search is "Entire Library" and the Sort order is set to "Random". Nothing else is configured except for the name. It shows me the same tracks that exist in the Auto-Playlist used with 1+ stars but what you are saying is that Auto-DJ should do it's magic and produce the desired results I am looking for. Did I do this correctly?

Thanks again
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Like I said AutoPlaylists can't show duplicate files. So what you've setup won't do the trick as other star AutoPlaylists are already included in the 1+ star AutoPlaylist, thus no preference is given to 5 star files. My example that is the case as you'd have 200 5 star tracks, 100 4 star tracks, etc. and thus you'd have more of the 5 star tracks.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I believe Lowlander's example is as close as it will get. Do you have more 5 star tracks
than others in your entire library? If you use your "entire library" to set a number in Lowlander's example
with "fewer" 5 star tracks, then it will not work. If the number is more but not much more than other ratings,
they won't be palyed all that much more frequently.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜