series episode audiobook

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

linn

series episode audiobook

Post by linn »

i'd like to know if it is now possible to use the new columns like episode to tag books which are part of a series.
books often should be read in sequence , i haven't found a good way to tag\sort this
I add the number to the album ,which is not convenient.like: "The Messenger-06"

Example:
Writer : Daniel Silva
the Gabriel Allon series.

Chronological Order:
1. The Kill Artist
2. The English Assassin
3. The Confessor
4. Death in Venice
5. Prince of Fire
6. The Messenger
dani0010

Re: series episode audiobook

Post by dani0010 »

I'm brand new here, but I've been using Media Monkey a long time primarily to tag, rename and move media the way I like. Since you haven't gotten an answer, I thought I'd share what I do.

I mostly listen to series of audiobooks, and I am a little OCD about keeping them in good order. I don't know about the episode tag, but what works for me is using Disc for series. At first I didn't like the idea of giving up my inner-book disc designations, but the more I've started getting my books via Audible and other online stores, the less they come divided as discs anyways. A couple years ago, I just retagged my whole library with tracks #s continuing for the whole audiobook and disc tags being reserved for # in a series. I have never regretted it.

I also use the Grouping tag for series name and Custom 1 for total tracks in a book. Then I rename and move the books like this:

/author/grouping/disc album/track-Custom 1 album.ext

I also retag the titles to match the filename without extension. I did this originally because my iPhone used to be finicky about properly sorting audiobook tracks, and this combination kept it happy. Now I don't think it's necessary anymore, but I have learned to love the tracks-totaltracks prefix in the title because I can quickly note where or gauge how far into a book I am with a glance at any listening device I may be using.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Episode# and Series# are video tags, not audio tags.

I'd use Number - Album if you need this to be available for sorting.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

It would be nice to have more tags for audiobooks. I would like to see author, reader/cast, book title and chapter title, in addition to series and series part as suggested by linn. The problem is that these tags do not fit neatly into artist and album.

Perhaps this is something for MM 5.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The bigger issue normally is tagging standards. If these tags don't exist in the tagging standards they'll generally not get adopted as it lacks compatibility with other software/hardware and as it would be a custom solution you can use the already existing non-standard custom fields. If the standards do account for the requested fields I'd hope they get included in a future release.
linn

Post by linn »

dani0010 wrote:I'm brand new here, but I've been using Media Monkey a long time primarily to tag, rename and move media the way I like. Since you haven't gotten an answer, I thought I'd share what I do.

Thanks for sharing, i will try out some of your suggestions, i have a big library ,don't want do do something drastic, but i'll try the disc or / and grouping.
linn

Post by linn »

Lowlander wrote:Episode# and Series# are video tags, not audio tags.

I'd use Number - Album if you need this to be available for sorting.
How exactly would i use "number"?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Instead if The Messenger-06 I'd use 06-The Messenger to get the correct sorting. Using Album and sorting on Date could work if either audiobooks are released in different years, or if you use the full date.
linn

Post by linn »

Lowlander wrote:Instead if The Messenger-06 I'd use 06-The Messenger to get the correct sorting. Using Album and sorting on Date could work if you either audiobooks are released in different years, or you use the full date.
Thanks ,i'll try this
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

Lowlander wrote:Episode# and Series# are video tags, not audio tags.
This is a perfect example of the self imposed limitations of MediaMonkey, which in other aspects is the best program on the market.

I collect (OTR) Old Time Radio programs and I listen to mp3 Audiobooks.

Episode# is vital for the OTR collector
and
Series# are so very important for the audio book collector.

Why can't these be unlocked ???

If these could be utilized outside of the Video Type, AND allow users to create their own Types (like OTR for example) MediaMonkey could finally transcend the glass ceiling it has created for itself.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

They can't be edited in the Properties dialog, but they're still available in the Filelisting and can be edited there.
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

Lowlander wrote:They can't be edited in the Properties dialog, but they're still available in the Filelisting and can be edited there.
Could you expound a little on that?
So the ability does exist, but just not on the Properties UI ?

Avail. Filelisting: Are you referring to the raw list of catalog files under Entire Library / Location ?

thanks in advance...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

To prevent the Properties from being a cluttered mess the developers have chosen which fields to show where for what Type. This can't be changed. However in the Filelisting itself the user is free to add any column (not in Artwork View) and you can in-line edit (F2 or slow double click) the fields there.
Wilber

Post by Wilber »

OK, I get it. Thanks!!
That is useful info that I can use.

Now if only we could create custom Types with selectable fields.... wow!