tagging FLAC vs ALAC

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

theax

tagging FLAC vs ALAC

Post by theax »

I am trying to understand how MM handles multiple artists/Composers/genres in different Music formats, FLAC and ALAC. It seems MM, when handling FLAC, saves different tags for each artist when they are separated by ";" (i.e. Artist = Robert Plant, Artist = Alison Krauss). When MM handles ALAC it saves all the information to one Tagfield (Artist = Robert Plant; Alison Krauss). This causes my Kinsky app (using Minimserver) not to allow me to search on multiple artist since most of my Music is coded in ALAC.

Is there a way to make MM save multiple artists/Composers/gengres as separate tags instead of keeping the information in one tag?

Ax
Lowlander

Re: tagging FLAC vs ALAC

Post by Lowlander »

Tags should be saved according to the standard for the file format and this can't be changed by the user.
theax

Post by theax »

Ok, thanks. I have been trying to understand how this works. do you know where i can find information on the issue? I have been playing with Mp3Tag and it seems it is possible in that program to do this by using "\\" as delimiter (probably program specific) but i would much rather use MM as it is so good on so many other issues.

Ax
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Currently MediaMonkey does not support saving multiple values to M4A/ALAC files as multiple separate tags (i.e. what MP3Tag does, if you use "\\"). It is problematic, because some programs do not support it. E.g. iTunes reads only the first tag and ignores the rest. Maybe we could add some ini setting for this in some next version.
theax

Post by theax »

MiPi wrote:Currently MediaMonkey does not support saving multiple values to M4A/ALAC files as multiple separate tags (i.e. what MP3Tag does, if you use "\\"). It is problematic, because some programs do not support it. E.g. iTunes reads only the first tag and ignores the rest. Maybe we could add some ini setting for this in some next version.
Ok, thanks. I want to run my dlna musicserver on my NAS and to be able to have multiple artists etc i need to alter my ALAC library somehow. it would be great if MM would add this functionality in the future!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

theax

Post by theax »

I Think what is needed is for MM to save multiple tags. Instead of "Artist=Alison Krauss; Robert Plant" it should be saved as "Artist=Alison Krauss" and "Artist=Robert Plant". Itunes will then only read the first Artist Tag (i Think) but the rest of the tags will be in the file for a proper media player to read. I have not had time to check but i assume that MM for instance would be able to read such files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Isn't ALAC from Apple? Thus wouldn't what iTunes need be the way to go (and other software should adhere to this)?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Lowlander: ALAC is only codec for audio data, container format is standard MP4 (M4A). Standard allows more tags with the same name for multivalues, but Apple/iTunes... ignores it, for years.

theax: it would be confusing for current users, the other artists would disappear from their iTunes after refreshing tags in iTunes...
theax

Post by theax »

MiPi wrote:Lowlander: ALAC is only codec for audio data, container format is standard MP4 (M4A). Standard allows more tags with the same name for multivalues, but Apple/iTunes... ignores it, for years.

theax: it would be confusing for current users, the other artists would disappear from their iTunes after refreshing tags in iTunes...
fair enough. But with a pop-up warning, it would allow those with a tonne of ALAC files to use those files in a "proper" music player that accepts multiple values for one tag and keep their ipods. I have not been interested in this issue until i got a Linn player and discovered Minimserver (which can run on my NAS). Hopefully, I can use MM in the future but then i need to be able to configure the DLNA-server more than today and run it on my NAS.