Overlong filenames

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

sordup

Overlong filenames

Post by sordup »

I have a lot of classical music in my database, many of which are tagged and named with ridiculously long "titles" containing every detail of the piece listed out, as is the common practice in that world.
Seeing as how MM simply ignores these overlong titles and doesn't even list them in the library, though they exist in the folder, it takes me a while to notice this. I have even re-downloaded albums that I though were incomplete!

Is there any advanced tag/filename editor addon out there that can deal with this situation in a batch scenario? A simple truncation and a copying of the full text to, say, the Comments tag or some other custom tag would be any easy solution, for example.
Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Overlong filenames

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can do this (but it doesn't see the files) using $Left(<Title>,50). Make sure the total length of Path, Filename and Extension doesn't exceed 255 characters (one solution sometimes is to move files to a root of the drive, then you can use MediaMonkey to rename).
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

I had a concern about the length of the file name since I purchased an album of harpsichord music (Bach: Complete Works For Harpsichord) that had tracks with extremely long filenames (some exceeding 100 characters). I organize my music into one folder as follows: <Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title>. To avoid an excessively long total path (path plus filename and extension), I had MediaMonkey limit the length of the album artist folder, album folder, and filename to 32 character to ensure that the total path will never exceed 255 characters. I have MediaMonkey auto-organize my music library, so it will automatically rename the folders when needed.
sordup

Post by sordup »

Solitaire001 wrote:...I had MediaMonkey limit the length of the album artist folder, album folder, and filename to 32 character to ensure that the total path will never exceed 255 characters. I have MediaMonkey auto-organize my music library, so it will automatically rename the folders when needed.

How is this accomplished? How do you have MM limit the folder and file names? For example: I have purchased an album that Downloaded with folder and file names already attached, of course...
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Yeah I'd love to know how that's accomplished as well.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

<Field:32> forces the field to that length, however shorter values will be padded with spaces until 32 characters. $Left(<Field>,32) will allow a maximum of 32 characters, but less if value is less.

Example: $Left(<Album>,32) replaces <Album> in your mask.
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

So if I wanted to use your example which seems more than sufficient to me, where and what exactly do I enter?

As in where is this "mask" ye speak of?

Sorry if I seem slow but this is a bit beyond my ability level. :wink:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That depends on what you're doing. You can use it in the Rip Dialog if you're ripping CD's if you want to rename files use it in Tools > Auto-Organize Files or Tools > Options > Auto-Organize. You can also use it in the Sync Destination for Auto-Sync.
LoneWolf_53

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Thank you. Appears to have worked. :)
sordup

Post by sordup »

Thanks!