Lock down mediamonkey for listening only, no changes allowed

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

workhorse149

Lock down mediamonkey for listening only, no changes allowed

Post by workhorse149 »

I have mediamonkey on various computers here on my home network and share one library. I want to install mediamonkey on my daughter’s computer, but I want to make sure she can't accidentally delete or remove a file from the library. I really would like her to be able to listen to the songs only and not be able to make any changes what so ever. Is there some way to lock mediamonkey down like this.
nohitter151

Re: Lock down mediamonkey for listening only, no changes all

Post by nohitter151 »

Sure, just use the Media sharing option on whichever PC has the music on it. On the other PCs, just browse to the music with the "Media servers" node.

For the read-only PCs, you can go to File > Manage collections, uncheck all except for "now playing" and "Media servers". That will make it less confusing to browse the music.

The other PCs will play the music directly from the server but cannot make any edits or deletes.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Re: Lock down mediamonkey for listening only, no changes all

Post by Lowlander »

Media Sharing truly allows no editing of the files. Alternatively you can set only read rights in Windows.

You can also start MediaMonkey in Party mode which also doesn't allow editing: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=45