All tracks are doubled

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MeeMeeMee

All tracks are doubled

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Oh man, this is nasty.
I keep my media on a NAS device. I mount it using CIFS/SAMBA on my PC XP SP3.
I upgraded my NAS's software the other day. As a result, it upgraded my SAMBA server, and I re-did my configuration from scratch. As a result, my SAMBA share got a different. What I am sure about is that I mount it at the same point (mapped drive Z:), that I'm sharing the exact same folder and I'm pretty sure (almost positively sure that) I'm using the same SAMBA share name.

The result is, after MM finished its scan, I ended up with EVERYTHING DUPLICATED. I don't sync DB changes to files, so I don't want to loose the original data.
I'm tech-savy enough to edit the existing SQL DB or use a backup from a couple of days back - I just need to know what I should look for in order to pull it off.
(the full-size image available here is better)
MM 4.0.7.1511 on Win XP SP3
Media on D-Link DNS-323 NAS box, shared using SAMBA/CIFS
rovingcowboy

Re: All tracks are doubled

Post by rovingcowboy »

Try mediamonkeys file menu and the library maintaince links see if that clears up the duppys,
You might also try thr find missing files link and see if it adjusts them then. But i think it took the id of the nas changed so it thinks theres 2 of them but cant find the on so it grays out the songs. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

rovingcowboy wrote:Try mediamonkeys file menu and the library maintaince links see if that clears up the duppys,
You might also try thr find missing files link and see if it adjusts them then. But i think it took the id of the nas changed so it thinks theres 2 of them but cant find the on so it grays out the songs. 8)
hmm, so what you're saying is that MM now sees a different/new music library and, therefore, it did doulbe my tracks. If I do what you suggest, it'll just delete the old meta-data/DB-data which I'm desperately trying not to loose for a 2nd time.

Edit: Yes, I can confirm that the DB got doubled. I edited some artists' names (from English transcript to the original Hebrew) and Now I see those albums doubled: Under the "original" English ones and the grayed-out under the Hebrew names.

Any suggestions how-to fix this without loosing the original DB data?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Ok try looking in the all scripts thread in the help with addons forum room to find the script made to fix the id number when changing to a new hard drive, see if that script has the way to fix your id number for the nas ? I hope you get it fixed with out losing your meta data. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

rovingcowboy wrote:Here is a post that might help.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +id+number

8)
Yes, this seems to be it.
You're my candidate for the most-prompt-and-helpful-person-in-a-forum-award for 2013. Now I just need to figure out where do I cast my vote.
Last edited by MeeMeeMee on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Just as you wrote, the Medias table now has two entries and the duplicates songs in the songs table each point to the different IDMedia, 50 and 51.
This SQL query:

Code: Select all

SELECT *
  FROM Medias
 WHERE Medias.DriveType = 4;
Produces this result:

Code: Select all

#|IDMedia|SerialNumber|DriveType|Label   |ShowLabel|Comment|IsAudioCD|Location|CDDBId|TOCData|CDDBQueryState|CDDBQueryResult|TurnedSN|DriveLetter
-+-------+------------+---------+--------+---------+-------+---------+--------+------+-------+--------------+---------------+--------+-----------
1|50     |754583456   |4        |Volume_1|Volume_1 |       |         |        |      |       |              |               |0       |25         
2|51     |-1516145345 |4        |Volume_1|Volume_1 |       |         |        |      |       |              |               |0       |25         

[/size]
Which shows that Indeed it's all because the Serial Number (where's that taken from?) has changed. That's enough info for me to roll back to a backup from 2 days ago and modify the SerialNumber of the original share.

btw, I'm using the freeware SQLiteStudio.

Edit: I rolled-back to the backup DB from a few days back, and used the SQL editor to change that SerialNumber from 754583456 to -1516145345 of that share and voila - all's back to normal.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

:lol: :D wow i got you right information on networking stuff just from my eye for look alike errors cause i dont program at all. And my own network is screwed up for yrs cant fix it the computers both stopped talking to each other, should since both are xp pro but dont.

I expected lowlander to jump in and help he is mostly one that does networking errors, guess you snooze you loose, glad to have helped you MeeMeeMee. 8)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use File > Located Moved/Missing Files on the greyed out files when this occurs. However as you've already scanned in the new location this may feel (you can remove it from the Location node (ie. Music > Location)).

If this method fails you want to check out: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer

Note: Using the old location is often important as it contains play history and playlist entries.
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Seems like a rather common problem, with all the solutions/how-tos/addons threads (also here). I think this all "could" be avoided if MM identified that all by itself.
Here's what I'm thinking/suggesting:
Whenever MM find new files, before adding them it could check if an identical song (in the songs table) exists. After all, the SongPath, FileLength, FileModified are stored there. That data could be used to identify if the song-to-be-added is new or potentially just a moved/new-HDD/changed mount-point.
Then, it could either sort this out automatically, or ask the user if those files were moved and how he'd like to proceed (you know, a dialog with buttons "add", "add all", "move", "move all" - the "all" options is for other tracks meeting the same condition during the file scan).

What do you think?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

sounds like a good thing to do. now might be the time to do it as they are making the new mm 4 version so hopefully they can get something like this in to the program. 8)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

A better handling of driveID change (ie. auto-detect) has been discussed a long time ago, but nothing has been done with it by the developers.
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Lowlander wrote:A better handling of driveID change (ie. auto-detect) has been discussed a long time ago, but nothing has been done with it by the developers.
That's a bit of shame. This seems to happen often enough to warrant a fix since moving data around happens all the time. After I started this thread another person ran into a related issue.
From a user perspective, it's a bit of scary moment to be at a point of loosing data because of doing some trivial storage maintenance work. If this can be handled automatically - it should.

You two are in a good position to push for sorting this out, aren't you?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well, I can assure you that we are thinking on much better handling of Shared Data. I have bought QNAP Nas few months back and preparing several network optimization handling for Future MMW versions.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Glad to hear that, and am looking forward to seeing that.
I'll be happy to assist with beta testing, if needed.