No File Associations in Win7

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gggirlgeek

No File Associations in Win7

Post by gggirlgeek »

Hi,

I'm using the latest v4.06 of MM. This problem has been happening to me since v4.0 (A YEAR!), on Win7-32bit and 64bit, in Admin or regular mode, I am always Administator, I never use UAC.

When I Associate file types from within MM options the icons in Explorer change, but Explorer still asks me to browse for a program to open them with on double click. Once I select MM (with the "Always use the selected Program..." option ticked) the files do open properly, however all of the icons change to the generic Windows Media Player icon (wmploc.dll). I would also have to do this for every audio and video file on my system (god forbid they get changed again!)

After letting MM set the file types: Under Windows 7's "Set Associations" dialog, the media files say "Unknown Application" under Current Default. MediaMonkey is also not listed under Windows' "Set Default Programs" dialog at all.

What I have found: In the registry, it appears that the associations only work if the UserChoice key is set for each file type. (This is what makes the generic association with Mediamonkey.exe successful for me) --
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.mp3\UserChoice]
"Progid=Applications\MediaMonkey.exe"

When Mediamonkey associates the mp3 file with the Mediamonkey.MP3file -- [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaMonkey.MP3file] -- there is no UserChoice subkey. There is a Default Referenced Key (Default=Mp3AudioFile), but the actual key does not exist anywhere in the registry.

2nd problem -- The icons: The reason the icons are changing to generic (UGLY!) WMP icons when the files are associated using Explorer>>Open with..., is because there is no Default Icon key under [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Applications\MediaMonkey.exe]. This actually might be the intended outcome, since MediaMonkey's preferred key (Mediamonkey.MP3file) does more than just open the file type. It is a warning I suppose.

So I need to get my associations set properly.

This is the case for ALL of my media files types with Mediamonkey.
With Both 32-bit & 64-bit Win7
With my default & a fresh installation of Mediamonkey 4.06
Portable and non-portable modes
A new Win7 installation, or my normal one.

My trials have two things in common:
My media files are on a second, internal, hard drive
VLC was installed and associated with ALL media files before-hand.

I am extremely frustrated with this, and I am shocked that other people haven't mentioned it as far my searches could find. Can someone be a kind soul and help?

Thanks a lot.
My current favorite software: MediaMonkey Gold!
Randy_Rump

Re: No File Associations in Win7

Post by Randy_Rump »

I have the exact same problem. Is it just us?