Moving folders

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

califauna

Moving folders

Post by califauna »

Hi All,

I have a strange problem using MediaMonkey with My Sansa View.

When I try to copy or move devices off the device onto a folder on my PC hard drive, nothing actually gets moved / copied.

The status bar at the bottom right quickly lists the files as the are supposedly being transferred, but then in the folder Im sending them too theyre not there afterwards. I have tried this with copy to, then move to, and I have also tried with autoorganise. With Autoorganise the folder which I say to create is created, but again, none of the files get moved. :-?

I have tried from the view of folders on the device, then from albums on the device (in the panel/tree on the left side of the screen). I have also tried using another drive which I have connected (I have 3 hard drives connected in PC).

Im using windows 7.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Dale.
DickDiver

Re: Moving folders

Post by DickDiver »

Hello

I wonder why no one answers. At least, I experienced the same this day.

Then I did some over thesting:

1st I grabbed my CD to a folder on my PC
2nd I went in MM to this folder that does not belong to my normally used folders or library in MM -- it was just created by Audiograbber.
3rd I tagged everything in this folder (aka my album)
4th I moved this folder my right clicking the folder in the tree in MM and went to move folder in the context menu there. I moved it into my library. precisely, into a folder of the given genre.

5th I then tried to search in MM for the album etc..... -> no hits?`°!
6th I checked the physical folder in my genre tree ... and I notice that there is nothing new. So, the move did not work?! WHY?

'How is this normal everyday workflow to be done in MM?

thanks
Joe Dell Dell
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Very different issue, but after step 4 did you rescan files into your Library? If not you still need to do so.
DickDiver

Post by DickDiver »

I can not remember but I think I did not rescan.

So, rescanning is the solution here.

Would you be so kind to tell me the best way to what I described in my post at the top?

Shoud I grab into a folder that is monitored by MM and then tag files there and then move them?
At least I think I would not have to find the folder / files in my lib to rescan them.

Thanks
Joe Dell Dell
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'd scan in the ripped files (or use MediaMonkey to rip them) into the Library. Then tag the files and use Tools > Auto-Organize Files to move them for me.

If you keep newly ripped files in a separate folder you can create a Collection to exclude files with the Path set to that folder to only show tagged files and/or create a Collection of only newly ripped files. The Location node is also useful when navigating to newly ripped files.