Scared to upgrade to mm4

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

forya

Scared to upgrade to mm4

Post by forya »

I have 3 computers and a lifetime license to gold. I have my library stored on a NAS box using the technique outlined in the http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... d=49&nav=0 I want to upgrade to MM4, what steps should I take to insure this goes smoothly
Lowlander

Re: Scared to upgrade to mm4

Post by Lowlander »

First make a backup of the DB, just in case. Then upgrade directly to 4.0.3: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 32#p326132 on one PC. Start MM and let it upgrade the DB. Once successful and working upgrade the other PC's to 4.0.3 as well (you can't run MM3 anymore on the same DB).

If DB isn't upgrade you may need to add DBName back into the ini file.
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

I just want to echo lowlander's recommendation in backing up your MM.DB. However, unless there's a compelling reason to upgrade (i.e. video management), why fix something that isn't broken?
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
forya

Post by forya »

I don't need video, and everything has been working perfectly. I don't have any playcounts that I care about, just a bunch of auto-playlists.
just wanted to upgrade so when my ipod dies I can get one of those new touches. I have a gen 5 80gb classic that doesn't have the same battery life that it used to.
forya

Post by forya »

Come to think of it, I have been amassing quite a collection of MKV's. I have been ripping my dvds also, will I get better quality playback for my flac files on my denon receiver using my HDMI connection?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 has a native WASAPI output plugin so that's an improvement.
forya

Post by forya »

I found the compelling reason to upgrade. Info from web (amazon) doesn't work on mm3 anymore. After many backups I will be upgrading!
ed.j

Post by ed.j »

If you don't have any issues with MM3, DO NOT bother upgrading to MM4. There have been a myriad of problems since the first release and, as much as I love MM, it is nowhere near being stable (or perfect) yet.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I, too, was very concerned about upgrading to MM4. I don't use video for anything, but I've found that the more the Monkey can do, the more I will do.

I did a lot of reading on the forums about upgrading and then pulled the trigger. I exported my Magic Nodes and made a backup up of my MM3 database. I installed MM4 in a completely different directory on my external drive (which is where MM3 resides also) R:\MM4\Media Monkey instead of the normal R:\Media Monkey\. I did this so I could play with it and see if I liked it and I still had the latest MM3 to go back to if I wanted to. Then I copy/pasted (the mmip installers don't work) a few scripts (to include LV, SIP, and MR), some skins, imported the Magic Nodes and used ZvezdanD's Restore Synchronize script to import all my playlists (see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=42085) and put a copy of the MM3 database in the correct MM4 folder.

Everything worked to perfection and I couldn't be happier. Played with MM4 for a couple of weeks, since I did a clean install, of course I had to reconfigure my toolbars, rescan all my tracks, and generally get 4 the way I wanted it. I like the collections, the tabs, and I will like the video. I don't like the Aero function of the skins, but at least that can be fixed.

Hope this helps your anxiety.
Last edited by rrfpacker on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey 4 was a great upgrade from MediaMonkey 3. And the addition of DLNA made it very much a good upgrade to do.
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

I really wish I had stuck with MM3.