Anyone got Music Bee installed with MM?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrismix

Re: Anyone got Music Bee installed with MM?

Post by chrismix »

Anyone who is used to MediaMonkey soon feels at home with MusicBee, I'm not suggesting that MusicBee has copied MediaMonkey but some things are incredibly similar.

There are some killer things which I'd like to see in MediaMonkey. The AutoDJ is better than the MM one as it can choose tracks/artists from your library that are similar to the first (or seed) track or to the track currently playing. So imagine you are playing Chic it might then choose Sister Sledge, or Sheila B Devotion next. It does this by querying stats of how similar people have rated tracks and artists at LastFM and it works brilliantly. You can even tick a box to let it get tracks from online stations and drop them at random into the AutoDJ queue (rarely or often slider to control it). Great.

There's finer control of AutoPlaylists, some great little touches.

Love the artist photo slideshows and the live panels for Wikipedia, YouTube, SongFacts (and any other website you care to add).

It's nowhere near as advanced as MediaMonkey as far as DNLA, UPnP etc are concerned. It's sometimes annoying to navigate, reminiscent of first using tabs in MM.

I hope Ventis incorporate some of MusicBee's best ideas in future MM releases.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

chrismix wrote:The AutoDJ is better than the MM one as it can choose tracks/artists from your library that are similar to the first (or seed) track or to the track currently playing.
Try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=69301
BenRad

Post by BenRad »

I was wondering what, if any, connection MusicBee has to MM. It "feels" like the have liberally borrowed from MM. It's a pretty client, but it bothers me that it seems like they took MM as a base, and prettied it up. Am I imagining things?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

None.
loubat

Post by loubat »

I'm trying out MusicBee right now solely for its "Playlist Mixer" functionality. It's able to take variable conditions and construct a playlist (just like MM) but with the one big feature the MM is missing: It allows you to specify how often an Artist will appear in the resulting playlist. I can dump my "Recently Added" playlist in with my "Favorite Artists" and limit the Artists to being repeated no more than every x # of songs. So I'll get a couple songs from "Recently Added" then a "Favorite" then a couple more from "Recently Added" and so on. It's not perfect, but I've never been able to find a way to do this on MM.

Otherwise, it seems to be fairly similar to MM for the limited ways in which I use MM. The one big functionality it seems to be missing is DLNA. I use MM through my Sonos system. So to use MusicBee's Playlist Mixer function, I will have to create the playlist, then export it, then import it into MM. Blah. First World Problems, eh? :D