How to stop single entries from an album

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lyndon

How to stop single entries from an album

Post by Lyndon »

My album list is getting long, long, long. Getting worried on how to manage the list.
And how does one stop MM from sometimes listing every song on an album? My example this morning, is Johnny Cash: Live at San Quentin (Legacy Edition).
It was not listed in feedb
So.
1. I highlighted the track listing
2. Had to punch in the correct album, did not load the cover art
3. Rip
4. Found it listed in artist
5. Highlighted it, used autotag
6. Bam, a separate listing for every track. It really adds too much to a long list already.
good grief, I can't get it to take the right track listing or anything. this 2 cd set is not going on the hard drive...frustrating
I think I did this. Since this album is not in the freedb, I highlighted the tracks, and used autotag and tagged the wrong album (there is a crapload of this album)
and now I can't seem to clean out those tags, tried advanced to no avail. I need to have MM look at this clean again, and don't know how.
Thanks, especially to lowrider (sorry, lowlander! :) ) for his help
Lyndon

Also, why do I have to physically request to go to freedb again to get the most information (dates, genre). I thought I was set for that?
Last edited by Lyndon on Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: How to stop single entries from an album

Post by Lowlander »

Make sure the Album Artist is the same for all tracks, this is used to group tracks to an Album. For compilations something like Various Artists is often used.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

But sometimes Various Artists doesn't seem to work
My worst example:
I have a box set of the Sons of the Pioneers
I must have 15 entries!
I think this is partially because they must have "guest artists" when they performed some of the songs on the radio back in the '30's and '40's.
Lyndon

Here's an entry:
The Sons of the Pioneers, Bibo, Irving
I don't know if the secondary part is the author of the song, or what. Just that it appears to take every song from my 4 cd box set and list them underneath the main entry.
If I physically delete those separate entries, won't they also disappear from the main entry?
How can I put it all again under the one entry, without having to remove everything, and then set the tag, and rip it all again?
Thanks, Lowlander
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As said for all tracks on the Album you need to change the Album Artist value. Just select all files on the album, right click > Properties and change the Album Artist value. This can be the Artist of the Album or in the case of compilations something like Various Artists.

If you have a problem where files on an Album are located in different folders on your PC then do the above, then select all files and use Tools > Auto-Organize. Change the mask to something you want and make sure you use <Album Artist> instead of <Artist> for foldernames (<Artist> is fine in the filename though).
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

If you have a compilation or an album with different entries in the "Artist" tag.
Make sure the "album artist" tag is the same for all tracks.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

http://yfrog.com/jumediamonkey1p

Well, I am not getting how to screen grab and post this, Lowlander.
Not as easy as it was in XP Pro

I don't know if this link works well or not. That is the first listing, and then each 114 songs is listed below.
I am going to go mow the lawn right now with my Sansa Clip and get my head in a better place.
Lyndon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Is that in the Artist node? If so make sure that for the Artist field you use ; in between artists to create a proper multi-artist. Artist 1;Artist 2.

It's hard to tell what is going on, if the above isn't the solution please make the column wider to show the full entries.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Your screenshot doesn't give all the info.
Could you post one where we can see the Artists fully. And could you right click on the main panel headers and select "album artist" to be visible.

Btw: Which node are using in the tree in your screenshot? "Artist"? "Album artist" ? "Artist & Album Artist" ?

Also if you want to assign multiple values to a field use ";" instead of ","
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

"Btw: Which node are using in the tree in your screenshot? "Artist"? "Album artist" ? "Artist & Album Artist" ?

Dreadlau, the screenshot shows in the navigation toolbar that it is the "Artist & Album Artist" node.