MM not locating my music files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Lyndon

MM not locating my music files

Post by Lyndon »

I am transferring and copying my music files from one hard drive to another, as I try to build a music pc server.

But, my music resided on this hard drive, but my MM was on my OS drive.

I installed MM in my new hard drive OS, and put in my Gold code, but it doesn't recognize any of the music files that I used Acronis to create an image.
??????
Back on my old system, the MM has all the names of the music, etc. and is looking for the files.

What is going on? Do I need to import THAT MM to my new system? I would have thought that the new MM would have gone through all the drives looking for music files.
rovingcowboy

Re: MM not locating my music files

Post by rovingcowboy »

look for the script to change the hd, id number i think it is one of bex's scripts but not sure right now if it is?

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Donski

Post by Donski »

Find your database file, it should located in the folder on your C drive.
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey
The name of the database file is MM. Copy & paste it to your new OS drive.

Open MediaMonkey
You'll notice that all your tracks may be grayed out and won't play if you try.
If this is the case then continue.

Important: Highlight all the tracks in your library first (Ctrl+A).
Goto File, choose Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library.
Select the new location of your files and hit OK.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Thank you, Donski
I will try that tomorrow.
Right now it is making a back up image of my video files on another hard drive, and this is very slow. 5 hours and 15% completed.
I have almost never done back up, but bet if these had been 1 TB to 1 TB drives, the clone would have been much faster.

Thanks again for your help!

Lyndon
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Lotta files, Donski, but none that looks like you said:
I've tried packaging everything and putting it over, but nothing is working.

Now it says the audio library can't start because sqlite3MM.dll is missing from your computer. I made SURE I copied and wrapped that up as well.
But no dice.
I think when the video files are copied tomorrow night, I will then remove the hard drive, put it back in my older XP rig, and hope the files reestablish themselves.

I so hope.
Not liking this Windows 7 so far at all!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

All you need to do is install MediaMonkey on the new PC (same version is best) and only copy over the database file: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=17

Now start MediaMonkey and the files should be visible in MediaMonkey. In case they are grayed out it's because the DriveID has changed this can be fixed following these instructions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

No, Lowlander, I don't think this is what the problem was.
It had nothing to do with Media Monkey.
I was using Acronis to back up and create an image of the music files on the new drive.
But for some reason, I could not "open or extract" those files in a way to allow MM to read the files.

Tonight, I just did it the old way, and copied all the music files through Windows 7, after a couple of hours, I opened up the new MM I had downloaded, told it to scan the drive
for music files, and what do you know. All my files, tags, and album art was there, there, there.
Have not hooked this up to the TV or stereo yet, as I am totally overwhelmed with teaching 30 eight year olds with school starting this Monday. Hopefully this weekend
I can start hooking things up.

Thanks again to everyone on MM Forum with their help. It is much appreciated.

Lyndon :wink:
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

lyndon, you did the old way of changing the hd id number.

it is safer i think because its the main way most people do it.
but the thing is mediamonkey does not go by drive letters. it uses the hd id numbers and when you change
the hd out with a new one. it does not know the new id number so the database can't find the files.

so if you had put all the songs on the new hd and stuck it in the computer the use of the script would have found
the new id number for you and allowed monkey to find the songs.

but you still had to move the songs to the new hd anyway so letting monkey rescan them works only you lose all your playlists and play counts and other stuff that is stored in mediamonkeys database.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

rovingcowboy,
I know in my heart you are correct.
Things are working, but I am not getting this post every time I load up a disc
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installe, create
an association in the Default Programs control panel"

OK, this is Windows 7
I have placed Media Monkey and all my OS in one small drive. How do I get rid of this every time I put a cd in????
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it wants you to associate the format of CDA with the monkey, as they are using that format now well always have been calling it a cda file but its been opening as a wav file for years. now they want to use cda which is what it really is.

so if you go to the options in mediamonkey and do that with monkey then monkey will be the one to open the cda and play it.

you might have to do that when your in the admin mode of win 7.

there is also the chance that the cdrom burning feature in windows is turned off. go to the my computer area.
and then to the properties of the dvd/cd burner unit. then look on those tabs to see if you can find where it says
to allow this unit to burn cd's.
make sure that is selected.

you might also on the easier side just need to run mediamonkey in admin mode. i think you right click the shortcut
for monkey and tell it to run it in admin mode on one of those tabs? not sure because i don't have win 7 with mediamonkey on it.

:)

one other thing that you might need to do is to really go and find a freeware dvd/cdrom burning software program that works on windows 7. that will give you all the files the burners need. (if the developers of that program knew about them.)

that might work? :o
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

Roving Cowboy
Same problem:
Things are working, but I am not getting this post every time I load up a disc
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installe, create
an association in the Default Programs control panel"

OK, this is Windows 7
Checked all that, and it should work. The only thing you did mention, "opening up MM in admin mode" worked. But there should be some other workaround that
I can do to circumvent that message above.
Thanks,
Lyndon
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

yep win7 requires admin mode on lots of things.

the developers are trying to get that fixed in mm 4 so if you can wait and put up with the workaround until mm 4 is released maybe it will be fixed on the first beta test version?

:D i hope it is, cause theres a lot that want to get rid of that admin stuff. 8)