50.000 songs from XP to Win 7 64 bit

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Northern Sound

50.000 songs from XP to Win 7 64 bit

Post by Northern Sound » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Sorry for this question, but important to me. Next week I move to another country, leaving my old pc behind. On my old XP pc I've got MM Gold (latest) and roughly 50.000 songs, all quite well organized. Spend hours & hours doing this, and I don't want to do this work again.

My new laptop is running Win 7, 64 bit. Please tell in detail the right order how to install & transfer all tracks & database-info.

I'm moving to another part of Europe, so I just have next week to do it right.

Thanks a lot, some unknown music-friend :)

nohitter151

Re: 50.000 songs from XP to Win 7 64 bit

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Northern Sound

Post by Northern Sound » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:58 pm

gpzbc

Post by gpzbc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:18 am

The link NoHitter sent is very helpful, especially the part about installing the update drive-ID script. But it is important to remember one more thing. All of your songs are presumably stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\My Music" on Windows XP. However, in Windows 7 it will be stored at "C:\Users\XXX\Music". This can create problems if you do not let MediaMonkey move the files.

In addition to the instructions in the link that NoHitter provided, here is how I did it:
In my old XP system, I used the MM Auto-Organize Files tool to move all of my media files from "C:\Documents and Settings\gpzbc\My Documents\My Music" to the new directory that I created on my same old XP system called "C:\Users\gpzbc\Music". This prepares MM for the new filepath on the Windows 7 setup. Then I copied all of those files over to "C:\Users\gpzbc\Music" on my new Windows 7 computer via a network connection. I then copied the MM.db from my old XP system and placed in the correct folder on my new Win7 system.

Here are the threads that I used when I did it a while back.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21999
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ze#p176325

Good Luck!
--
The gpzbc

MonicaTo

Post by MonicaTo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:16 am

Friend of mine just moved about 20000 songs it worked out in the end. It required quite some effort but he got through. Good luck with it.

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:52 pm

gpzbc wrote:The link NoHitter sent is very helpful, especially the part about installing the update drive-ID script. But it is important to remember one more thing. All of your songs are presumably stored in "C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\My Music" on Windows XP. However, in Windows 7 it will be stored at "C:\Users\XXX\Music". This can create problems if you do not let MediaMonkey move the files.

In addition to the instructions in the link that NoHitter provided, here is how I did it:
In my old XP system, I used the MM Auto-Organize Files tool to move all of my media files from "C:\Documents and Settings\gpzbc\My Documents\My Music" to the new directory that I created on my same old XP system called "C:\Users\gpzbc\Music". This prepares MM for the new filepath on the Windows 7 setup. Then I copied all of those files over to "C:\Users\gpzbc\Music" on my new Windows 7 computer via a network connection. I then copied the MM.db from my old XP system and placed in the correct folder on my new Win7 system.

Here are the threads that I used when I did it a while back.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21999
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ze#p176325

Good Luck!
Good point gpzbc, it is worth emphasizing that the methods available at the link I posted will only work if the filepaths for each respective track are the same on both PCs.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.