Volume Leveling - Seriously......

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

HunterGreen

Re: Volume Leveling - Seriously......

Post by HunterGreen »

I'm having the same problem, and it started when I moved MediaMonkey from one computer to another -- same versions of MM and Windows, just different hardware. The problem only happens in MediaMonkey; the same tracks work fine in many other places both on this computer and other devices, as they worked fine on my previous computer. (Since I play the same MP3s on many devices including my car, and some don't support volume leveling, I use MP3Gain to adjust them before I add them to my library; this has worked fine with MM for many years.)

I've disabled every kind of volume leveling and crossfading in MediaMonkey I can find. I also went through every setting on the new computer to compare to the old computer to make sure nothing I could see in Options (or anywhere else) was different.

I did find a setting in Windows that is supposed to lower the volume when it thinks you're on a call and disabled that, but it didn't help; anyway, that changes the Windows volume, which wasn't actually changing, so I bet that was never it. In fact, no other audio source ever has this fluctuation at all, just MediaMonkey.

I sure hope someone figures this out, it makes MediaMonkey nigh-useless at my office (if it's loud enough to hear the music at all when MM feels quiet, it becomes blaring a few seconds later when it swings back up).
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

And it looks like you can't submit a ticket to the trouble ticket system because it doesn't recognize the login from this forum, but won't let me register a separate one since the Register link just takes you to the forum. Nothing raises your confidence as much as a showstopper bug in the bug reporting system.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried disabling Play > Level Playback Volume (or enabling it if it was disabled)?

Also note that per Album is expected to result in variances in volume.
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

All forms of leveling, volume adjusting, and crossfading are disabled. (Actually, in despair, I tried turning it on for a day or two, but it didn't help either way.)

I have never used MediaMonkey to level any of these tracks, on either a per track or per album basis, they've all been leveled before ever being added.

Also to note, the volume changing is not "this song is too loud", it's that a single song will go from inaudible to too loud and back a half-dozen times during its play, as if someone's just leaning on the volume knob of the stereo while on a boat that's pitching in the waves or something. It doesn't happen all the time, but after several weeks of this, I haven't discerned any pattern.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

With Play > Level Playback Volume disabled the file should play at its own volume without any changes by MediaMonkey. You may want to share a track that this happens for with support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... &_a=submit
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

Hence see post two posts up about how support's login doesn't work.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Forum login should work. Maybe using wrong case or wrong password?
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

I agree it should, but it doesn't. Clearly I'm able to log in as I'm logged in here. Sadly, there's no way to report that I can't log into the ticket system since that would use the ticket system.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've asked for help with that, it didn't work for me either.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should be able to login to support again.
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

Ticket submitted. If they find an answer I'll repeat it here.

One thing that occurred to me while writing the ticket is that there is one difference between the installs on my old and new computers: this time, I did a portable install on the external hard drive that the music lives on. I don't know if that could be relevant, but who knows?
dedalus2k

Post by dedalus2k »

Same problem here. All leveling options are disabled but it is definitely still leveling. Queens of the Stone Age song "You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar." The intro is comparatively quiet and then blasts into the guitar much louder. Through MediaMonkey it pulls the volume down to match the intro. Totally defeats the aim of the song. Enough to put me off MM. Seriously...
Hunter Green

Post by Hunter Green »

For me the solution was switching my output plug-in to MediaMonkey WASAPI. No one was able to figure out why waveOut or DirectSound had those problems, or why they didn't on my previous computer, but, eh. Problem gone.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You should notice a direct difference when enabling Play > Level Playback Volume if you have a decent dB value difference from 0dB. I just tried and noticed the difference right away with MediaMonkey DirectSound.