120GB Zune and MM: Is it worth the hassle? Any alternative?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cali

120GB Zune and MM: Is it worth the hassle? Any alternative?

Post by cali »

I dropped my 160GB iPod and the HD is no longer working. I'd been thinking about getting rid of it because I can't stand it, the lack of customization, iTunes, etc. So I can get a new HD and install it myself of get a 120GB Zune. I read that it can be synced with MM but it requires modifying the registry every time. My question(s) is about having a Zune: is it worth the hassle? Are there any other alternatives for large capacity players? Has anybody switched from an iPod to a Zune?

Thanks.
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
nohitter151

Re: 120GB Zune and MM: Is it worth the hassle? Any alternative?

Post by nohitter151 »

cali wrote:I read that it can be synced with MM but it requires modifying the registry every time.
That modification no longer works with the new Zune firmware.
cali wrote: My question(s) is about having a Zune: is it worth the hassle?

Take it from me: no. I have an old iPod mini and a Zune and I actually get much more use out of the iPod mini, despite having only half the storage space and not even having a color screen. iPods and Zunes might both the closed, but at least the iPods are popular enough that apps like MediaMonkey circumvent the protection and proprietary nature of them and add support. There are no 3rd party apps or alternate firmware (ie rockbox) for Zune devices.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
cali

Post by cali »

:( Thanks.

I don't get where these manufacturers come from, 3rd party apps make their products more appealing to the public. If they don't want people to chose other apps, then they should make their apps less shitty. I'll guess I'm stuck with the ipod.
Windows Vista -- MM 3.1.0.1227 -- 6 Gen iPod
Desertway

Post by Desertway »

I have a Zune, and I use MediaMonkey. I use MM exclusively for listening at home and at work. And I use it for tagging as well. The Zune software is only for syncing music and podcast subscriptions, since I only listen to podcasts on the go. MM and the Zune software monitor the same folders, and MM can even play Zune Pass subscription music.

Also, you can export your MM playlists, including auto-playlists, to M3U lists. I export them to my Zune playlist folder every once in awhile, that syncs to the Zune player and all is well.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Desertway wrote:I have a Zune, and I use MediaMonkey. I use MM exclusively for listening at home and at work. And I use it for tagging as well. The Zune software is only for syncing music and podcast subscriptions, since I only listen to podcasts on the go. MM and the Zune software monitor the same folders, and MM can even play Zune Pass subscription music.

Also, you can export your MM playlists, including auto-playlists, to M3U lists. I export them to my Zune playlist folder every once in awhile, that syncs to the Zune player and all is well.
I’m new using MediaMonkey. Can you explain to me how to export a playlist so that I can add it to the Zune software?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Stranger wrote: I’m new using MediaMonkey. Can you explain to me how to export a playlist so that I can add it to the Zune software?
See here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... pt#p175956

Desertway

Post by Desertway »

nohitter151 wrote:
Stranger wrote: I’m new using MediaMonkey. Can you explain to me how to export a playlist so that I can add it to the Zune software?
See here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... pt#p175956
Yes, but even a a little easier. Zune creates it's own playlist folder (in the Zune folder) which it already monitors. Just export to that folder.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Thank you guys, I’m starting to create new playlists in MM. One last question, Is there a way to import my zune playlist to MM?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Stranger wrote:Thank you guys, I’m starting to create new playlists in MM. One last question, Is there a way to import my zune playlist to MM?
No.

Desertway

Post by Desertway »

Well, there is a very roundabout way of doing this - if it's worth it to you.

The Zune software creates a .wpl playlist for every .zpl playlist that you create. If you look in the Zune/Playllist folder you will see them.

Now, open Windows Media Player. Go to File/Open, navigate to the Zune playlist folder and open the .wpl playlist you want to import. The playlist will open. In the right panel of WMP, click "edit playlist". Then in the dropdown list below the Playlist name (top left), save the playlist as a .m3u file. That playlist can be opened and saved in Media Monkey.