Duplicate files when converting

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jaxjon

Duplicate files when converting

Post by jaxjon »

Hi,
I convert my files to wma to save space, and when I do I sometimes get duplicate files in songs-db, but not in win explorer so they are not actual duplicates but somehow copies. I have taken to deleting from library when this happens. Is this a bug or something to do with the mp3 source files?

Thanks
Jaxjon
rusty

Post by rusty »

Jaxjon,

I tried to replicate this, but cannot. Can you tell me:
-what version of Songs-DB are you using?
-is this consistently reproducible with any specific files?
-are the duplicate entries both for the .wma file that you created? or is one for the newly created .wma file and the other a file in another format/path?
-do the duplicate entries appear in all nodes (i.e. if you look in Titles, Artists, Genres, etc. will all of the nodes/subnodes show the duplicate tracks that you observed)?
-does expanding/collapsing the node and/or refreshing the tracklist result in the removal of the duplicate entry?

One last point (just to make sure all bases are covered) is that if the tracks that you were converting were in the library to begin with, doing a convert operation will result in the new converted file being added to the library (the original file will not be removed from the library).

Looking forward to your feedback.

Rusty
jaxjon

Post by jaxjon »

Rusty,

1. I am using v 1.4 build 1.500

2. The abnormality happens sometimes with the same mp3 file and sometimes it does not. It seems to be random as some times it will happen to the same file on subsequent conversions ( after removing the first conversion from the computer )and sometimes it will be different files.

3. The two file are both in wma format filename and path. I have not tried to convert to another format.

4. The duplicates always appear in album, artist, and title nodes, but it appears that the length, genre or year are missing sometimes and the file size is always different. Both files play in Songs-db fully to the end.

5. Expanding or collapsing the nodes and refreshing the track list has no effect. Only if I remove them from the library and then add the tracks back to the library does it fix itself and remove the duplicates. The lower valued file size track is the one that is discarded

6. The tracks being converted were never in the library or on the computer itself in any file or format.

In conclusion, I hope this information helps you in some way. I have found that some tracks that are downloaded (which mine for the most part are from friends ftp and newsgroups) as albums have mixed tags, some in id3v1 and some in id3v2. Is it possible for a mp3 file to have both, giving it a dual identity when converted. Does it matter if it is a vbr or cbr file or if it is 128kbps or 320 kbps etc. or if it is mpeg 1.0 layer 1, 2, or 3? These are things that are different about mp3 files that I have noticed that could cause difficulties.

Thanks once again for your passion and perserverance. :D

Jaxjon
rusty

Post by rusty »

Jaxjon,

I've tried to replicate (on build 506--beta3), but am having no luck. Have you tried Beta3, and is it still occuring?

If yes, I would love to see a log when the problem occurs. Please send me a note offline... Thx.

-Rusty
jaxjon

Post by jaxjon »

Rusty,

I have had no luck :D replicating the problem in 506. It must have been just one of those things. Works like a charm.

Jaxjon
rusty

Post by rusty »

It was in fact an issue, and it has been resolved in Beta 4.