Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dnquark

Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Post by dnquark »

I have migrated to a different computer. The old computer is no longer available, I just have the hard drive from it. Is it possible to somehow retrieve the playlists from Mediamonkey installation on the old drive? I can deal with some manual search/replace cleanup in Perl or Python if need be...
Bex

Re: Where does Mediamonkey store its playlists?

Post by Bex »

They're stored within the database. Do you still have the old database?
Also see here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
MarthaF

Post by MarthaF »

I have a similar question, but a different need. I've found both the old and the new database successfully. Now, I want to know if it's possible for a mere (but fairly clever) mortal to edit the playlists in the old database?

The only editing I need to do is to change the drive letters for the songs in the old playlists, because when we moved to Windows 7 we set the drives up a little differently. MediaMonkey has already created a new database using the current drive letters. Can you help me with this?

Thank you.
Martha
Last edited by MarthaF on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you just changed drives you can try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
MarthaF

Post by MarthaF »

(Oh, the things I have to learn!!!)

I've done my best co copy everything accurately. But when (in Windows 7) I open Media Monkey as administrator and try to run the script (Tools > Scripts > Move device content), I get an error message:
Error $13 - Microsoft VBScript runtime error
Type mismatch: 'Change_HDD_Serial'
File: "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\MM_HDDSerial.vbs", Line 1, Column: 0

Then when I close that message, I get:
Error happened during script execution:
Type mismatch: 'Change_HDD_Serial'

I copied the old MM.DB into the proper place.
(Rather than lose the three files I was replacing, I changed their names to, e.g., MM-DB-OLD - but left them in their respective directories.)

I've double- and triple-checked everything - what might I have done wrong??
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you but the manual method to update your DB is explained here:
http://www.plasticsun.com/GiantInternat ... wDrive.htm
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MarthaF

Post by MarthaF »

nohitter151 wrote:I'm not sure why it isn't working for you but the manual method to update your DB is explained here:
http://www.plasticsun.com/GiantInternat ... wDrive.htm
Thanks a lot, nohitter151 - this is actually the kind of thing I was hoping for. But meanwhile, I've realized that I had only ONE playlist of any significance to me, and was in the process of editing THAT - so I'll give up trying to recover something I don't think I really need any more, and go on to making a new playlist for the purpose. Trying to recover it was an interesting exercise, though. And the thing that I was most suspicious of was that the instructions did talk about the disk serial number of the new drive - somewhere - but then I couldn't find again either HOW to find it, or WHERE to put it! A good learning experience anyway, though - and I'm always happy for those.

Best, Martha
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

@all.

In Win8/10 the playlist databse is in :

C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey

These files might be of importance,

MM.DB
mediamonkey.m3u8
MediaMonkey.ini
CDPlayer.ini

In my case I had a reinstall cause of a partly crash of my C-drive
Reinstalled mediamonkey, choose the right skin, fill in my reg info.
And copied the complete content of the dir to the new dir.
Start mediamonkey, and every playlist was present as I had before.
And operational !

Success with trying.
regards, Peter
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists are stored in the database (MM.db) and database location is described here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -ini-files

Post by Guest »

Hello, in the same mindset of understanding the data storage of media monkey I want to know why when I import music from itunes library the storage seems to still be in itunes folder? Mediamonkey folder still very low in terms of space whereas itunes folder is 32Go, it seems it only makes the bridge to itunes library and not integrate it to its own library.
I can't create backup of my media monkey library that is empty