Import playlists from computer A to Computer B

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

lo197

Import playlists from computer A to Computer B

Post by lo197 »

Hy,

I have two different computers, let's call them A and B. Both have MM3 installed.
On A, I have all my Music Data. For a party, I have just created several playlists.
On B, I have no music data. I would like to import the whole playlists from computer B.
I tried differents ways but it never worked:
-1st step:export All playlists (export script)
-2nd step: I installed the "Import M3U" script but the tracks are never reachable (grey).

Could you help 'cause it's quite urgent ?

thanks.
trixmoto

Re: Import playlists from computer A to Computer B

Post by trixmoto »

If your music tracks are only on Computer A then they will never be accessible on Computer B, surely? :-?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

@trix.
I read it that he has the same files on both computers, but wants to transfer the playlists that he made.

But I could be wrong. :wink:
lo197

Post by lo197 »

Actually,

For the moment, the files are only on computer A (computer B: empty).
I want to take the playlists from A to put them on the hardrive of B (of curse with the tracks associated with the whole playlists).

Do you have a solution to handle easily with this ?
lo197

Export/Import playlists and associated tracks

Post by lo197 »

In a computer A, I have all my music data and especially my playlists that took a long time to create !
I want to put all these playlists with the associated tracks in a second computer B. Of curse I do not want to duplicate the whole music data basis of A towards B. I simply need the playlists with the associtaed tracks.

So I guess I need to export my M3U playlists (script) towards my Archos USB Mass storage device. Then I need to import the same M3U playlists (import script) with all the associated tracks in my HDD computer B.
I am trying to do this but I have problems cause many of the tracks are finally missing in each playlists.

Do you have an idea to handle easily with this ?

thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Export/Import playlists and associated tracks

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists will only work in MediaMonkey if the tracks on the playlists are also available on the computer. So the first question is if on computer B the tracks on the playlists are available?

Do you have computer A and B on the same network? Do computer A and B have the same tracks and the same folder/file structure?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Playlists require the songs to be available to work. So unless you copy the songs to computer B, the playlists won't work with MediaMonkey on computer B.

* Moderator: Duplicate topics merged
Kevinowpb

Post by Kevinowpb »

I think he is trying to import a playlist... leaving the playlists path intact... however.. I dont believe he knows how to map files.

I think this is what he is trying to do...

Comp A (Lets say computer name: COMPA)
has all the files in a directory called MUSIC

Comp B (Lets say computer name: COMPB)

Lets assume they are networked. (Ill get to an assumption of not networked next)..

His playlists PROBABLY have paths of C:\Music\Artist-Title.mp3 whatever... thats an example.

He takes\copies that playlist over to the other computer... and of course.. there aren't any mp3's in THAT computers C:\

Might not even be a folder called MUSIC...

What he should do it SHARE COMPA's C:\Music drive... Call it MUSIC then change the playlists paths to \\Music\Arists-Title.mp3 assuming he has a mapped share on COMPB called MUSIC pointing to \\COMPA\Music then all his playlists should find the existing .mp3s

Hows that?

Understand? That way.. all the mp3 are still physically on COMPA...but there are 2 existing playlists on both computers pointing to the same mp3s
Kevinowpb

Post by Kevinowpb »

oh.. of course the non-networked way.... YOU CANT DO IT without physically copying duplicates of the mp3 over to COMPB.
Benn

Post by Benn »

^ I think thats what he wants. A simple way of copying songs on a playlist to another computer, instead of going through his collection manually.
Varias

Post by Varias »

The songs are on a hard disk, so it is the same path. The hard disk will be used with the second computer (for example B).

I want to transfer the playlists from MM A to MM B.

Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then just use File > Export to Playlist or Tools > Scripts > Export all Playlists. Save them on the same drive and just run File > Add/Rescan Tracks on computer B and select the M3U file type to be added.