Poor sound quality - codec problem?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

luke69

Poor sound quality - codec problem?

Post by luke69 »

I am new to MM, been using winamp and some itunes. Ran into FLAC files, looked for a player and now found MM. Would like to switch to MM and not use itunes and winamp no more or as little as possible. Here is my problem:

I have some files that have extremely poor sound quality when played with MM, regular mp3s and including the FLAC files I mentioned earlier. The background noise is loud as hell, the signal to noise ratio is way worse than it was an LPs or MCs back in the days. I tried playing those files on WA. Some came out as crappy as on MM, some came out just fine. And then the same files again on itunes and they all play just fine. Now this only is true for the mp3s, the FLACs I don't know about, I haven't installed plug-ins for itunes or WA yet, so all I know right now is that they sound shitty in MM and won't play on WA or itunes.

Now I googled this whole thing and found that some players use pre-installed codecs whereas some players use their own codecs. I figured maybe MM and WA use a bad codec I might have installed on my system, whereas itunes uses its own which works just fine. So I removed all audio codecs I had installed (removing all entries listed under "audiocodecs" @ device manager), restarted the system and here we go - same old same.

Anybody have any ideas what problem I am facing here? I mean - I have lossless FLAC files on my computer and they sound like shit!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can change both the input and output plugins in MediaMonkey. Some users prefer the MAD plugin and you can also switch output plugin to see if it solves the issue. Check out the Add-Ons page on the MediaMonkey website for input and output plugins.

Are you sure that these tracks really aren't just bad rips? Check out the bitrate, if it's a low bitrate like 96kpbs or lower the tracks might be of poor quality which can't be solved with plugins.
Help

Re: Poor sound quality - codec problem?

Post by Help »

I have the same problem. Any solutions?
Lowlander

Re: Poor sound quality - codec problem?

Post by Lowlander »