Slow tagging over network (30 mins for album's art!?)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Simon Chick

Post by Simon Chick »

I have been running MM3 for a few days (3.2.1162), and have it configured to three clients (all XP Home sp2) sharing music and database on a NAS (linux based FAT32) two on wired GB LAN, one on homeplug.
Music is about 680gb with about 34,000 tracks.
Many aspects are better, but load and response times are woefully worse than before.
Switching nodes on the tree in every case leads to a full reading tracks stoppage.
There is some notable instability on "Ins" to add tracks when MM is also open on another workstation.
The PC on the homeplugs is particularly slow and will be replaced, but the slow performance on the other two PCs seems less explicable.
MM3's interface is so much better, but it seems at the cost of responsivenss
Is this a common experience, or am I doing something wrong?
awatkins

Re: Slow tagging over network (30 mins for album's art!?)

Post by awatkins »

Hi all,

I've recently moved all my music to a LaCie NAS device and have the same problem in MM3 being reported here - unbelievably slow tag updates when embedding album art. I tried using the DLL posted earlier in this thread, but found that once it was installed I couldn't add new tracks to MM. Am I doing something wrong, or is the latest version of MM not compatible with the updated DLL? Any help much appreciated.

I'm currently using MM v3.0.3.1183.

Thanks!
KD7LRJ

MM runs slow with DB on a network drive

Post by KD7LRJ »

Simon Chick wrote:I have been running MM3 for a few days (3.2.1162), and have it configured to three clients (all XP Home sp2) sharing music and database on a NAS (linux based FAT32) two on wired GB LAN, one on homeplug.
Music is about 680gb with about 34,000 tracks.
Many aspects are better, but load and response times are woefully worse than before.
Switching nodes on the tree in every case leads to a full reading tracks stoppage.
There is some notable instability on "Ins" to add tracks when MM is also open on another workstation.
The PC on the homeplugs is particularly slow and will be replaced, but the slow performance on the other two PCs seems less explicable.
MM3's interface is so much better, but it seems at the cost of responsivenss
Is this a common experience, or am I doing something wrong?
I've got this same problem. MM reads a large amount of data from the database each time I change nodes (e.g., Titles to Artists) and it's painful to use with 54,000 files in my database. I have to sit and watch as my network transfers the data and MM counts up the number of files. I have two machines I'm doing this with from a third machine that is just a headless server in the basement. One is a notebook using slow 11 Mb wireless, and the other is on a 100 Mb wired connection. Of course they run at different speeds (4-5 minutes on 11 Mb and 86 seconds on 100 Mb), but it is MUCH slower now than when I had the database on my local drive (less than 10 seconds). It's not usable in this configuration, it's just too slow. Any ideas for making this faster?
StephenF

Post by StephenF »

Well, I've found several threads about slow tagging over a network. Since this seems to be the most complete thread, I chose to revive it.

I'm having similar issues with slow tagging over a network, though, in my case, I haven't messed with album art yet. First a bit of background:

I have a MediaMonkey Gold license and I'm running the latest version (3.2.0.1294). Initially, the music files, database, and program were all on my XP desktop and everything worked great. I recently bought a HP Mediasmart Server (EX 495 running Windows Home Server). I have moved both the music files and the MM database over to the server. My XP desktop is connected via 100 Mbs Ethernet cable through a router to the server. Access speed to the server is superb, so I don't think that is an issue.

I just timed it and it took 2 minutes 10 seconds to update the text tags of 24 flac and m4a songs. I tried the dll jiri posted, but it didn't help. It was from 2 years ago afterall. But that does indicate that this problem has been around for a LONG time and I'll be disappointed if there still isn't a fix for this. Does anybody have any new info on this problem?

I'm willing to make a debug log if it will help, but someone will have to tell me how.

Thanks,
-Stephen
vilbs

Post by vilbs »

In the end I had to move the music and db locally. Amazing speed increase - but then you would expect that wouldnt you! Because of the price of storage I purchased an additional one for local and sync nightly between local and nas. That way I have speed increase and a backup. Still not ideal but there you go.
StephenF

Post by StephenF »

Thanks vilbs for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Your work-around would allow for fast tagging and would still have all the music on the server accessible to computers and media players. The only problem for me is that I'm planning on retiring my old XP desktop and using a newer Vista laptop as my main computer which, of course, doesn't have enough storage space to hold all my music locally.

I don't suppose just moving the MM.db back to a local drive helps any? It sounds like the slowness stems, at least partly, from transferring the entire flac file just to update tags.

Any other thoughts or suggestions on how I can make it work for my scenario? I could attach a USB external drive as the local drive, but I don't know if that would speed things up much or not. And I'd rather not have to have an external HD sitting on the desk all the time (that was kinda the point of the server).

Thanks,
-Stephen
kubu4

Post by kubu4 »

I'm now experiencing very slow tagging using MM3.2.41304 (Win 7 Home Premium, SP1). I've had my music on the same NAS (and share) for years without an issue.

I noticed the decrease in tagging speed almost immediately after I migrated my library to a different share on my NAS. Perusing this thread, migrating a library to a different location seems to be a pretty commonly associated factor in reduced tagging speeds. I migrated my library by physically moving all the files and then used MM3's "Locate Moved/Missing Tracks".

Any chance anyone has more experience with this phenomenon or any thoughts on how to get MM back to it's original tagging speeds?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Try File > Maintain Library for starters. Otherwise I'm not so sure as to why the change of share caused this. Did you move the database file (MM.DB) as well?

You can always send a debug log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
kappclark

Post by kappclark »

I have been using mm for a few years ... I like to keep files on separate server...network file storage with mapped drive. I have never been pleased with how long MM takes to read the database -- I am running gigabit ethernet on the home network ...

Running MM Gold 4.1.18.1852

I am glad to see that others have same issue -- I am not crazy ...

Media monkey is so terribly slow at startup -- I restarted the file server,,,then I cleared out the database on the windows 10 client, then re-scanned all the music files (about 35K) -- I was hoping that rebuilding the database would fix the plm, but when I re-started the computer, and then launched MM, it started the dreaded "Reading Files ", and it is still doing it, at the rate of 10 per second)... once the reading is finished, it seems to behave normally when I try to edit files, search, create collections etc ... etc.. not sure why it needed to rescan files after initial database-rebuild - disappointing

Thankfully, after the "Reading Files" event, I shut down the program, and re-started, and no delay ...not sure what will happen when I restart the computer ...

I am considering moving the files to locally attached storage .... this sw doesn't do very well with network-based file storage ...

I cannot account for why this takes so long ? I am running Windows 10 - 1803. The files are being served from a 2 year old Vortexbox file server. When I ask the vortexbox (running Logitech Media Server)to scan the music database, it does it in under 3 minutes ...

Bill Clark
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Reading Files is generally not from scanning, but from trying to display files in the Filelistings or Now Playling. A large Now Playing or using the My Computer node in the Media Tree can slow this down.

Current release is MediaMonkey 4.1.23
kappclark

Post by kappclark »

OK - Learning all the time -- fwiw - after restarting computer, and launching MM, the library comes straight up, and, after moving, deleting, updating/rescanning files, I still see no sluggishness.

I embrace the miracle ...