does mediamonkey have "real time" record ability?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

thefaceman

does mediamonkey have "real time" record ability?

Post by thefaceman »

I use Replay radio software to record streams that I listen to later.
Does mediamonkey have this ability to record in real time the audio playing on my computers?

-thanks
-thefaceman

-if not i will add it to the "wishlist"
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

The standard for stream rippers is ... guess what: StreamRipper.
It's a plugin for Winamp and MediaMonkey.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I personally use GoldWave for this type of recording.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

how hard is it to use the duplex sound card and make it record the sound from the what you hear mixer. with a wav editor studio? thats how i use it.? 8)
thefaceman

How do I add it to mediamonkey

Post by thefaceman »

Steegy wrote:The standard for stream rippers is ... guess what: StreamRipper.
It's a plugin for Winamp and MediaMonkey.
I downloaded and installed it, but I do not see it for "mediamonkey" anywhere. I do see it if I launch winamp.

-thanks in advance
-thefacemn
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

copy the files for it from the winamp plugin folder to the media monkey plugin folder then monkey can use it. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
cherryplinth

Post by cherryplinth »

I use Total Recorder for recording streaming radio. I use it extensively and have never had a hic-up. It has very good file conversion and tagging capabilities and interfaces well with MM.

In contrast to most digital recorders, Total Recorder offers the option of recording through the software source (e.g. your player) or through your sound card. Unless you have a $1,000 sound card, recording through your sound card usually results in sound deterioration; so recording through the software avoids all of this error.

Total Recorder is a very powerful program that is easy to use. I highly recommend it.
thefaceman

Does StreamRipper use sound card

Post by thefaceman »

OK, so I have either StreamRipper or TotalRecorder
Does StreamRipper use sound card or should I use Total Recorder to get the highest quality from that software?
-thanks
-thefaceman
Otis

Post by Otis »

Total Recorder is completely reliable with multiple settings. It has produced high quality ripped streams for me. I haven't used Stream Ripper.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Streamripper is definately highest quality. It kind of copies the stream back in to the file that was like it was transmitted. There's no re-encoding done (so no quality loss), only re-assembling of all source-pieces.
All (or most) other solutions will lower the quality by reencoding (or you'll have to choose a too high quality level to keep the same quality), certainly wave editors like Goldwave.
I recommend a stream ripper, and if possible "StreamRipper" (I always use it with Winamp as then I'm sure the streams actually get played as they should. I never tried it on MM.)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
cherryplinth

Post by cherryplinth »

You can download most of these recorders and try them out for free. I think that is what you should do.

For sure, try to get a streaming recorder that records through the software. That way you are recording the digital signal as it comes off the Internet.

If you get a recorder that records through the sound card (as most of recorders apparently do), then you have to deal with errors caused by the conversion algorithms as they convert the signal from digital to analog and back to digital. For cheap sound cards that is a noticeable amount of error.

Total Recorder is a workhorse in my arsenal of sound applications. I use it all the time with highest quality results. I don't have any experience with Stream Ripper.
thefaceman

Wow why didnt i think of that

Post by thefaceman »

cherryplinth wrote:You can download most of these recorders and try them out for free. I think that is what you should do.
Now that is pure obvious advice and YET I did not think of it. LOL
Thanks for the tip, quite easy solutions.

-later
-thefaceman
unluckynelson

streamripper?

Post by unluckynelson »

Tried it... too much effort getting it to work with MediaMonkey... it's defaulted to winamp for relaying... so maybe if your using winamp it'll be ok. And for the rest of the guys, Total Recorder can't save the track names... hmm that kinda sucks.
Otherwise I use iRadio.... much less hassle to just quickly start ripping
hughesco

Streamripper

Post by hughesco »

rovingcowboy had the best solution. Yes I have Winamp 2.5 installed as a result but it does not open. MM is the player for my streams while StreamRipper works in the background creating files from the stream. It even looks as though it records streams when I am not listening, very cool. Open when MM opens and has great features like moving incompletes to a seperate directry and not creating doubles of the same track.

Very Nice. Took a long time to find such a clean solution.

Thanks.