"copy playlist" - synchronization settings

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

DaledeSilva

"copy playlist" - synchronization settings

Post by DaledeSilva »

Hi,

I want to copy .m3u playlists into a directory on my ipod called playlists... I have done this before and I simply checked "copy playlists" in the synchronisation options tab of the ipods properties but now for some reason it won't let me check that box. It seems to be greyed out but I don't know why.

I'm using version 2.5.3.968. I posted this in the synchronization forum but haven't recieved any reply.

would appreciate any light anyone can shed.

Thanks.
Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it sounds like your having some issues with the dual cpu system

do a debug and send the log report in to the email it says to send it to in the instructions.

the debug program is in the bug forum you can get there the normal way or go to the help message and click on the debug link in it. two clicks either way.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

well that's annoying.. I was hoping for an immediate simple solution... lol
thanks for the help roving cowboy, I'll give that a go.

Dale.
Last edited by DaledeSilva on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinimuecki

Post by heinimuecki »

maybe you can try this:

open the iPod configuration and choose "synchronize only the following"
on the top right corner mark the "advanced" checkbox
when done an "edit" button will appear at the bottom

now select the playlists you want to synchronize (only select, not mark)

hit the "edit" button, a window opens in which you can set
"Copy M3U playlists".
click "ok" and the selectet playlists will be marked now for synchronization.

i don't know if that works (i couldn't test it, because i have no iPod connectet at the moment)

maybe you can post weather it works or not :o
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

nice tip.. it makes more sense to me that it might be something like this then anything to do with my dual cpu's... especially since it was working previously with my dual cpus...

your suggestion didn't work though.. I manually set some to copy m3u to no avail...
thanks for the suggestion

I may just try and uninstall media monkey and reinstall it tomorrow and see if it persists.

Dale.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Since there was quite a confusion re. this option for iPod, it was disabled and is enabled only for other players (that support m3u playlists). So, currently it isn't possible to create m3u playlists on iPods, unless Generic USB plug-in is used (however, then iPod DB isn't supported).

Jiri
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

damn it... that's really frustrating.

I understand why you might do this as it is easy to get confused... however, it isn't true that you can't use it on the ipod at all.

I use the normal ipod firmware but I also use "rockbox" which is an open source firmware made to work on various players (http://www.rockbox.org/) - it's ridiculously more powerful ... it doesn't use the ipods DB (it uses directory structure and m3u playlists).. therefore it really needs to have copied m3u playlists.

PLEASE re-enable this feature for ipods as it's very useful to me and quite frustrating that it was removed under the assumption that it wasn't useful to ipod users. Perhaps a better help description of its functions could outline its non-usefullness with the 'normal' ipod firmware.

If this isn't reimplemented I might have to go back to an earlier version of MM (which is dissapointing because I've been getting into scripting for dockable panes).

pleadingly,
Dale
a registered gold user
Last edited by DaledeSilva on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

btw... I use BOTH the normal firmware and the open source firmware... so I DO need the ipod DB working as well... which means that I can't use the generic USB plugin.

Also, if it is possible for me to edit a file to enable this function again, please let me know how to do so.

thanks,
Dale.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

DaledeSilva wrote:well thanks annoying.. I was hoping for an immediate simple solution... lol
thanks for the help roving cowboy, I'll give that a go.

Dale.
turns out the simple solution you sought was not what was wanted.
since it had been turned off.
:o

now thats what is annoying isn't it. :(

glad it was not trouble with the dual cpu i had thought it might have been some windows error with that. :-?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

lol.. that reads really badly... I had meant to type "well 'that's' annoying".

thanks for the input, roving.
Dale.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

DaledeSilva wrote:lol.. that reads really badly... I had meant to type "well 'that's' annoying".

thanks for the input, roving.
Dale.
i figured that is what you ment. 8)

i took NO harshness from your post. if i had you would have got it back from me. :P 8)
jiri

Post by jiri »

I understand that it could be a problem for some users and so I made a modified version of the plug-in, until a new version is released, you can download it here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/d_iPod.dll

It works as the one in MM 2.5.3, but if you go to registry and create a DWORD value HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Songs-DB\Device\iPod\{Serial number here}\EnableM3UConfiguration and set it to '1', MM will let you configure M3U target path and m3us will be synchronized there.

Jiri
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

thanks alot jiri... you're a godsend.

It's really nice to know individuals are cared for and not just majority.

Dale.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

okay.. tried it... one problem..

yes, it transferred the playlists into a directory.. but it didn't create the itunes database file.

it needs to do both.. otherwise it's no better than the generic usb plugin?

and me being stupid.. I didn't backup the old ipod plugin so I had to reinstall media monkey.

thanks,
Dale.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Are you sure? I really should work as a standard iPod plug-in, it did for me. Maybe you could try to start with an empty device (if it isn't a big problem for you), but it should work anyway.

Jiri