Sorting multiple Mp3s into correct folders

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

10cclo 1

Sorting multiple Mp3s into correct folders

Post by 10cclo 1 »

Heres the thing Im struggling with. Im trying to tidy up my rather large MP3 collection which is currently stored in the following format:
J:/MP3s/Artist/Album/Track 1.mp3
Im using the auto-organise to change the Folder names to Artist - Album but what I would like to be able to do is to have MM sort them as above into an artists root folder first and then Artist/Album/Track 1.mp3
Is this possible to do or would It have to be done by hand? 700GB of Mps so not fun if so
Lowlander

Re: Sorting multiple Mp3s into correct folders

Post by Lowlander »

Something like: J:\MP3s\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#>. <Title>
Tippon

Re: Sorting multiple Mp3s into correct folders

Post by Tippon »

I'm currently doing the same thing, but with about 100GB, where half of them are incorrectly or incompletely named. I've made two folders

D:\Music\Unsorted
D:\Music\Sorted

and then copied my entire music collection into D:\Music\ I move a few dozen folders at a time into Unsorted, and set that as the scan folder in MediaMonkey. It means that if I make a mistake, it only affects a handful of albums. When I'm happy that I've got the correct data for the tracks, I use Auto-Organise Files with the following setting:

D:\Music\Sorted\<Album Artist>\<Album>\$if(<Disc#>,<Album> <Disc#:2>)\<Track#:2> - <Title>

So for a Various Artists album called Dark Side Of the 80's with two discs, disc one, track 16 is renamed like so:

D:\Music\Sorted\Various Artists\Dark Side Of The 80's\Dark Side Of The 80's 01\16 - Monkey Gone To Heaven

D:\Music\Sorted\<Album Artist>\ names it to the album artists to allow for compilations and collaborations etc.

$if(<Disc#>,<Album> <Disc#:2>)\ means that for a track that also has a disc number, an extra folder layer is added. In my case I've chosen to use the album name and disc number. The :2 means that it will always be a 2 digit number.

<Track#:2> - <Title> just gives a 2 digit track number and the track name, separated by a dash

If you just want Artist/Album/Track, you should be ok with this:

J:\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Title> or J:\<Artist>\<Album>\<Title>