Can no longer add music to MM

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Can no longer add music to MM

Postby JimPa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:37 pm

After a few successful months of being a new MM user, my motherboard decided to die last week :(

I've since replaced the motherboard and all is back up and running again (I also upgraded to Win 10 from W7 in the process) but I can no longer add new music to MM. I used to just drag a bunch of files directly onto the Music node in MM and they would be sucked up into my library.

But now when I drag any files over the music node, the cursor remains as a 'no entry' icon and won't allow me to drag anything in. Neither can I drag anything onto the 'Now Playing' pane as it also stays as a 'no entry' icon.

Have I missed something obvious after adding my new motherboard? My hard drives are structured exactly the same so my music library is still in it's original location.
JimPa

Re: Can no longer add music to MM

Postby Lowlander » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:20 pm

That should work (which version of MediaMonkey are you on?). Have you tried File > Add/Rescan Files instead?

Related: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/WebHelp:
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Lowlander

Postby JimPa » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Tried it several times now and definitely not working like it used to (running latest ver 4.1.19.1859).

The only way I seem able to add new music is to right-click the file/files I want to add and select "Play in Mediamonkey", at which point they then appear in the Now Playing pane. From there I can then drag them to the music node and they then finally get added to my library.

It just won't let me drag them from my desktop straight onto the music node like I used to do.

Oh well, bottom of my list of current problems trying to restore system from a dead motherboard! Will have a play around and post back if I manage to resolve it.
JimPa

Postby Lowlander » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:37 pm

Maybe they're in a reserved folder like VirtualCD, Previews or UPnP Cache?
Lowlander

Postby Hdhntr23 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm having the same issue but mine started when I changed the collection of my music to be based on a folder vs. the "stock" criteria.

The only way I can now add music to my original "my music" collection is to put it in a watched folder now vs. file/add/rescan.

Any help would be appreciated.

To the OP... I don't mean to threadjack so apologies.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Hdhntr23

Postby Lowlander » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:57 pm

If you change the Criteria for Music the file will need to match it to be shown there. Use Entire Library (enable under File > Manage Collections) instead as it always shows all files in the Library.
Lowlander

Postby Hdhntr23 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Lowlander wrote:If you change the Criteria for Music the file will need to match it to be shown there. Use Entire Library (enable under File > Manage Collections) instead as it always shows all files in the Library.

How can I fix mine so that it works the way it used to as well as shows just that collection? Is it possible?
Hdhntr23

Postby Lowlander » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Default Criteria is Type = Music; Classical Music
Lowlander

Postby Hdhntr23 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:29 pm

Will that still allow me to see the music in "my music" as well as operate the auto-organize rules in it? That and most importantly... allow the other collections show up and use the file/add+rescan?

Thanks!

Also, if you are USA based... happy Thanksgiving!
Hdhntr23

Postby Lowlander » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 pm

Yes, but Auto-Organize would depend on how you set it up. Note that you can use Entire Library instead and leave Music as is. Entire Library as said will show all files in the MediaMonkey Library as it has no Filters.
Lowlander

Postby JimPa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:54 am

Could this be something to do with the UAC settings in Win 10? The reason is that every time I launch MM I get the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" message. I clicked to view the Thawte certificate for the app and it says "Valid from 24/08/2015 to 22/11/2017" so apparently that expired a couple of days ago.

My Win account has admin privileges and I checked that I am definitely running as admin.
JimPa

Return to Need Help? (mmw)